BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, February 10, 2014

Second Person Point of View #writing #POV


Writing can be a lonely process. You may belong to a lot of online groups, but sometimes you just want to sit down and talk to a bunch of people who love the same things you do. Joining a local group in 2011 worked for me. You get exposed to different genres and receive help from your peers.

Our group works like this—if you have a chapter completed, you email it to the moderator and she sends it out to the other members, who read it carefully and mark it up with their comments. The group meets once a month to critique the writing.  


If you're wondering why I emphasized all the you's in the above paragraphs, it's because I have you on my mind. At today's meeting I had to critique a chapter that was written in second person point of view. That's where the narrator addresses the protagonist as you. The author had a unique, humorous style, but I could not get into his story, or relate to the characters, and that's what I had to tell him. I don't think I've ever read anything in 2nd person other than a guide book or recipes.


Here's an example of second person POV. It's not from the critique.
 
You open your eyes and the sun is shining through the blinds. You realize your alarm did not go off, and you're going to be late for work. You jump out of bed and rush into the shower.
 
I just don't like the style. Am I missing something? Would you write, or read, something in 2nd person POV?


Share/Bookmark

0 comments: