BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, December 8, 2013

QTA Christmas Blog Hop #LGBTQ #Rafflecopter



I love the holidays—all of them. I don't even mind see Christmas decorations going up before Thanksgiving. In fact, my Santa Claus collection and my ornament tree have permanent places in my home. So does my menorah.

Overcompensating? Maybe. My parents were Jewish, but not observant Jews. We didn't go to synagogue, celebrate Shabbos, or exchange gifts on Hanukkah. My childhood lacked spiritual content, as well as all the holiday magic.

What I learned about Judaism came from Bubbe. Strangely enough, my maternal grandmother was a devout Jew, who brought her own food when she came to visit, because her daughter didn't keep a kosher house. I spent a lot of time at Bubbe's house in South Philly, and celebrated the Jewish holidays at the old synagogue across the street.

Eventually, I met and married a Catholic man, and we began a long tradition of celebrating both Hanukkah and Christmas with the kids. I love our holidays more than any other, but there are some childhood memories I will never forget.

Bubbe passed away many years ago, but I still cherish the times we spent together.

And the times I treasure most?  Baking
Use this question to enter the QTA rafflecopter giveaway at:
http://queertownabbey.com/qtas-christmas-blog-hop/


Bubbe would give me a ball of dough and let me cut out hearts, clubs, and circles with her old metal cookie cutters. She never had any written recipes, preferring to keep everything in her head, so I recreated her recipes the best I could.



Bubbe's Almond Glazed Cookies

Mix together ½ cup of butter, 1 cup of sugar, and 1 large egg.
Sift together 2 ¼ cups of flour, 2 tsp. baking powder, ½ tsp of salt, and ½ tsp of vanilla – and add to the mixture.


(The dough can be chilled in the refrigerator for an hour to make it easier to roll.)

Roll the dough on a floured sheet of wax paper. (I use another sheet on top) Cut out the shapes and place on a cookie sheet.

Brush each cookie with topping.
Mix 1 egg, 1 tsp vanilla, 2 tsp almond extract, and ground walnuts.

Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 8 to 10 minutes.

Enjoy! And don't forget to visit this link to keep hopping. 
http://queertownabbey.com/qtas-christmas-blog-hop/

a Rafflecopter giveaway


Share/Bookmark

6 comments:

Debby said...

I love all the family traditions. We have so much fun at Christmas trying to follow them.

sarah-madison said...

I love baking at this time of year! It's like some weak instinct for domesticity comes out of hibernation, bakes like mad for a few weeks and then disappears for another year, :-)

Unfortunately, this year, I've had to change to a gluten-free diet. We're experimenting with revising recipes, with less than spectacular results. I'm going to try yours though--I can always give them away instead of eat them myself! :D

nancy said...

Baking, yes that is something I enjoy as well but right now my oven is crapped out. When it is finally fixed I will probably go on a binge.

ShirleyAnn said...

Baking, When I young at home we used to bake mince pies every Christmas Eve they weren't always perfect but they always tasted good.


ShirleyAnn@speakman40.freeserve.co.uk

Emily said...

Thanks for sharing, can't wait to try this recipe.

tiger-chick-1(at)hotmail(dot)com

Shadow said...

Im sorry you lost your bubbe but its awesome you keep her alive in your recipes! Those cookies do sound delicious! Thank you for sharing! Happy holidays!
shadowluvs2read(at)gmail(dot)com