BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, December 6, 2013

An Interview with Kyle Taylor author of Exposition #LGBT #Historical




Today I'm excited to be interviewing author Kyle Taylor. Exposition, his new historical LGBT novel is available now from Whiskey Creek Press. 
Enjoy the exclusive excerpt and don't forget to leave your questions and comments. Kyle will be awarding a $25 Amazon gift card to a randomly drawn commenter during the tour, and as a special prize, Kyle's previous book, Billion Dollar Dreamer , will be given away free on Amazon the last day of the tour.

Follow the tour and comment; the more you comment, the better your chances of winning. The tour dates can be found here:



Welcome Kyle! How did you choose the genre you write in?


In a way I think gay fiction found me.  I will have an inspiration to write a book and they are circling the gay fiction orbit.  Exposition falls under gay historical romance, but because of subplots it becomes more of an epic story.  My first book, Billion Dollar Dreamer is a gay action adventure comedy romance sort of hybrid.  My next book is also historical fiction. 
Because I write about stuff I’m passionate about, I don’t really care what slot it falls into.  The Kyle Taylor brand of storytelling has lots of historical references and a depth of characters.  I hope I can take the reader on a journey of emotion.


Where do you get your ideas?

For Exposition, I was chatting up a former Frank Lloyd Wright apprentice out at Taliesin West a while back for an article I was writing.  He revealed this clandestine life of gay underlings to the architectural giant.  A while later,  I was writing another article about the World’s Columbian Exposition of 1893 and I got to wondering what life was like for gay men during the design and construction of the fair – That all swirled around in my brain.  Exposition is what came out. 
My next book, Wildflower: The Dramatic Life of Barbette – Round Rock’s First and Greatest Drag Queen was another combo sort of inspiration.  I live in Round Rock and was deeply offended when the mayor of the town got all worked up when a local coffee shop had a drag show night.  Then, I found out one of the most sensational aerialist drag queens ever, Barbette, grew up right down the street from that coffee house about a hundred years ago.  I had to write about this man and set the record straight, as it were.

 
Do you ever experience writer’s block?


Novel writing is a pleasurable passion for me.  I don’t have to rely on it for my living, so it is very freeing.  When I want to write about something, I just start researching and laying out a story.  If I don’t feel I want to write, that is okay too.
 
Do you work with an outline, or just write?


All three of the novels I’ve written had outlines.  I use note cards and put down basic scenes in a type of order.  I spread them out on the floor into five acts.  There is usually about 50 note cards.  Exposition has interwoven plots, so I needed to really manage the story.  For Wildflower, I kept finding out more interesting things about Barbette as my research progressed, so I added scenes here and there as I was writing.

Can you tell us about your upcoming book?

I’ll give you more of the scoop.  I haven’t dished this to any other blogger.  Wildflower was the most difficult piece of work I had to create by far.  It covers sixty years of a man’s life so the research had to be extensive.  I found accounts from childhood friends of Barbette walking clothes lines in his back yard.  The way he stormed Paris and then all of Europe in the Roaring Twenties with his trapeze/high wire drag act was really remarkable.  His affair with surrealist Jean Cocteau and Cocteau’s worshipful essays were revealing.  I found his hidden collaboration with Orson Welles and Cole Porter in their fiasco musical, Around the World.  He taught Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon how to act like women for Some Like It Hot.  This is truly a remarkable entertainer. It’s a gritty story for sure.

What was your favorite chapter (or part) to write and why?

I think cinematically when I write.  I see images and think, if I can just write what I see, it will come out fine.  In Exposition, after the prologue, the opening chapter hits it right. Our young hero, the newly minted architect, Benjamin Wyatt, is marching through the frigid flurries amidst this sea of horse drawn carriages after the funeral of John Root.  The carriages all look the same in the blinding snowfall. He gets into the carriage of architect Louis Sullivan by accident and there he meets his fascination, the young electrician, Spencer Bowles.  The whole thing has a wonderful period feel to it. Mr. Sullivan, who was rumored to be gay, has just the right flair and intensity. The two young men have an instant attraction.  It all sets up nicely.

How did you come up with the title?

For some reason, I wanted my second book to have a one word title.  Exposition is perfect because not only is it about the world’s fair, but it’s about the main character, Benjamin Wyatt, revealing his true self.  Exposition is architectural and sexual at the same time.

Is there anything that you would like to say to your readers and fans?

I feel honored when someone purchases something I’ve written. I truly hope you enjoy the work!  Thank you for sharing this interview with me! 






Exposition
by Kyle Taylor



 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BLURB:

Meet Benjamin Wyatt, a handsome young architect helping create the magnificent 1893 World’s Columbian Exposition.  While immersed in work at the famous architectural firm of Burnham and Root, Benjamin’s pugnacious, social climbing father, Walter Wyatt, pushes him to marry the stunningly beautiful debutante, Evelyn Van Buren—thus securing the family’s position in Chicago society.  Yet, when Benjamin meets the cocky young electrical engineer, Spencer Bowles, who is also working on the fair, his world and its ambitions are forever shattered.

Set amidst the opulent splendor of Chicago in the late Victorian Age, Benjamin Wyatt must confront the perils of accepting his own true love and risk destroying everything he worked so hard to achieve.  Meticulously researched and filled with lush images of the Gilded Age, Exposition, tells the epic story of a love that dare not speak its name…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~




EXCERPT (Exclusive Excerpt):

Spencer slumped back on the bed. He was wearing a simple under shirt and pants. He kicked off his shoes, revealing stockings with prominent holes.

“Someday, I will have enough money to travel there,” Spencer said nodding towards the postcards hung above his simple, wood desk.

“They are beautiful,” Benjamin remarked.

“I suppose you have already been to them all.”

Dressed in his evening clothes Benjamin looked somewhat uncomfortable sitting on the side of the bed.

“Most…” Benjamin said. “I know for sure, one day you are going there!”

“Where?”

“There! All of them! I shall take us there! And we will have a wonderful time!”

Spencer sat up in his bed right beside Benjamin. Without saying a word he kissed Benjamin’s cheek. His lips felt the stubble of Benjamin’s nighttime beard.

Benjamin felt a surge of longing flush his cheeks. He didn’t know what this was, but knew he desired more.

Spencer took hold of Benjamin and lustily kissed him on the lips.

Benjamin was overcome. He felt he was not ready.

Spencer stopped kissing him, pulling away. He looked at Benjamin’s dazed expression and smiled.

“It is okay, my prince.” Spencer’s eyes twinkled.  “You needn’t be afraid.”

Benjamin looked at Spencer. He took in the earnestness of his expression. He wanted to say something, but words would not come out. Finally, he mustered, “I want more…”

Spencer slowly removed Benjamin’s dinner jacket. Benjamin closed his eyes and felt his lips being kissed. Spencer undressed the young architect while Benjamin savored the sensations about him. Then, Benjamin stopped for a moment. Looking over his shoulder, he noticed his bare back and Spencer’s muscled chest reflected in large, filthy window to one side of the small bed. Benjamin stood up and went to the window, his toned torso breathing deeply in the reflection. He witnessed Spencer, too, in the reflection, coming from behind him, wrapping his powerful arms around him. Benjamin reached for the cord affixed to the window shade and pulled it down, surrendering to the temptations of the night.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

AUTHOR Bio and Links:

Kyle Taylor is the author of both Exposition and Billion Dollar Dreamer.  The Kyle Taylor character debuted in Billion Dollar Dreamer as a journalist who was assigned to write a story about high school history teacher cum overnight billionaire John Driskil.  Kyle has begun his next book, tentatively titled Wildflower.  He resides in New York -- and of course he is a work of fiction!

Author Web Page:  www.billiondollardreamer.com

Purchase:
http://www.whiskeycreekpress.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=55&products_id=1142
http://www.amazon.com/Exposition-ebook/dp/B00EK8N1KE






Share/Bookmark

8 comments:

Mary Preston said...

I always love knowing where the ideas come from.

marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

Goddess Fish Promotions said...

Thank you for hosting

Kyle Taylor said...

Good Morning! Thanks for hosting Exposition! I feel in a holiday mood today! Go ahead - ask me something and you may find me gifting you with an Amazon link for a copy of Exposition! I will be back later in the day - and we're gonna give some books away!

Kyle Taylor said...

Hey everyone -- here is a link to my other two book trailers - I kind of got on this jag making these things. Enjoy! https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCC6pE-rLUu3DsKG8E_Dd8mg/videos

Rita said...

Great interview, thank you.

Kit3247(at)aol(dot)com

Kyle Taylor said...

Hey Mary and Rita - Congrats! You are both the proud owners of Exposition! I'm still itching to give more copies as gifts! If you check in - it may be your lucky day!

bn100 said...

Nice interview

bn100candg at hotmail dot com

Natasha said...

Great interview!
Thanks for the chance to win!
natasha_donohoo_8 at hotmail dot com