BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, July 4, 2013

The Equal Rights Blog Hop




 
Equal Rights and the City of Brotherly Love
 
Some of my best friends are gay. Sound cliché? Of course. But it's true. I count among them two men who have been together for over twenty-five years, and a lesbian couple who have been partners even longer. When I ask how they have managed to sustain a stable, monogamous relationship for so many years, they talk about mutual respect, passion, and doing things together as a couple. When I ask what they want most in their relationships, they answer, love, security, equal treatment under laws that protect families... The same things we all want.  
 
I'm happy to say that my home town, The City of Brotherly Love, has been a pioneer in LGBT rights since The Philadelphia Lesbian and Gay Task Force was formed in 1978. And just recently, Mayor Michael Nutter signed legislation that extended civil rights protection and benefits for LGBT people living and working in the city. This July 4th Philadelphia's parade will be historic, with the largest LGBT contingent ever. There's no better place to celebrate the holiday than the City of Independence. I'm proud of my city's stance on LGBT equality, but gay marriage is still illegal in Pennsylvania. I hear a bill will be introduced, so I'm hopeful that will change soon.
 
I write MM romance because I like writing from the male point of view, but I've found that it gives me a way to show that same sex couples share the same hopes, dreams and desires as heterosexual couples. We're not all that different--unless you're a vampire in love with a werewolf. In my books, even paranormals get their happy ending. My newest release is Symbiotic Mates 4: Damian and the Doctor. Leave a comment and your email address for a chance to win an ebook copy.
 
 ****
 
What's my hometown? Answer on the rafflecopter giveaway for a chance to win a grand prize.

Queer Town Abbey is providing 3 Amazon Gift Cards of $25.00 each.
 
Click on this link to keep hopping and answer the rafflecopter giveaway:
http://queertownabbey.com/join-the-equal-rights-blog-hop-july-4th-through-7th/
 













Share/Bookmark

26 comments:

Donna said...

Philadelphia. :)

Donna

Donna said...

Sorry, forgot my email address.
donnafisk @ bellsouth.net

Donna :)

Yvette said...

Philly...my hometown too!
Yvette
yratpatrol@aol.com

Susan Haase said...

Philadelphia! Great blog! Happy 4th - what a great country to live in :)

shaase41@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

Philadelphia. Happy 4th. Thanks for invite

Cinders
Crozzy67@nctv.com

Debby said...

I loved your post!! Philadelphia is your home town. I have visited many times.
debby236 at gmail dot com

lilygblunt said...

Philadelphia!
Great post - nice to read more about you. Looking forward to reading some of your work too.
lilygblunt@gmail.com

laurie said...

Philadelphia. :)

parisfan_ca@yahoo.com

Anonymous said...

That would be Philadelphia! (I've only been there once, but I loved it...)

vitajex(at)aol(dot)com

Sarah Madison said...

You know, I think of Philadelphia setting the standard in so many ways, it's hard to believe that Pennsylvania is one of the states still banning same-sex marriage. But there is progress, and that's what this hop is all about--celebrating the victories and then moving on to the next challenge.

I think many of us write M/M romances for the same reasons you do--so often in television and movies, the token 'gay' character is only there for comic relief or for something bad to happen to them. Everyone deserves their happily ever after!

Cornelia said...

Philadelphia. Thanks for the hop.
cvsimpkins@msn.com

Anonymous said...

I am originally from that area- but I can only remember going to the Mummers parade- I don't recall ever going to the 4ths parade.
Thanks for participating.
Cyndy
Wcyndy@rocketmail.com

H.B. said...

I've never heard of the 4th parade and I've lived in the city for a majority of my life. I do know we have gay pride parades and a lot of businesses that support the GLBT community though. I'll have to look it up and see about joining into the festivities next year.

Thanks for taking part in the hop.

humhumbum AT yahoo DOT com

wulf said...

Happy 4th of July Philadephia! :)

penumbrareads(at)gmail(dot)com

Gale Stanley said...

Hope you all had a great 4th. Thanks so much for reading. The Blog Hop goes on until the 7th, so there's still plenty of time to enter the giveaways and I hope you'll visit the other participating bloggers, too. I'll announce the winner on Monday.
Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Gale Stanley said...

Almost forgot – for those who missed the parade you can see some photos here, the Philadelphia Freedom Band and the gay DC Cowboys in the Philadelphia 4th of July Parade

http://phillygaycalendar.com/photos2/album.php?aid=329

Charlie Cochet said...

Thank you for sharing your lovely post with us! I took a trip once to Philly when I was a kid and just remember thinking how pretty it was! It's wonderful you live in such an accepting community.Have a wonderful weekend!

Lisa said...

Philadelphia

Wolphcall(at)bellsouth(dot)net

Jbst said...

Philadelphia. What a great city that I would like to visit one day.

strive4bst(AT) yahoo(Dot) com

Lena Grey said...

Philadelphia

lena.grey.iam@gmail.com

Sherry said...

Philadelphia
sstrode at scrtc dot com

awindandbooks said...

Philadelphia, which sounds like a great city. Thanks for participating in the blog hop!
-Marie

awindandbooks at gmail dot com

Carolyn said...

How wonderful for you to be part of a place that's working towards equality. I'm not so fortunate, but as I'm still an American, I have faith that our ideals of justice will win out.

Thank you for sharing!

caroaz [at] ymail [dot] com

Emily said...

Good ole Philly! Thanks for participating Gale!

tiger-chick-1(at)hotmail(dot)com

Daniel M said...

Philadelphia, went on vacation there once great place! - regnod(at)yahoo(d0t)com

Beth said...

Always wanted to visit Philly one of the times I got back east. Never got to. :(
Waiting anxiously for each Symbiotic Mates book to release.

carolcobun @ yahoo.com