BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, June 10, 2013

Meet Cathy Mansell #author of Shadow Across the Liffey




Today I'm interviewing author Cathy Mansell, as part of her book tour for Shadow Across the Liffey.
 
If you have a question (or comment) be sure to post it. Cathy will award a $10 Amazon gift card to one random commenter at the end of the tour and two $5 Amazon gift cards to random commenters during the course of the tour.
 

Follow the tour and comment; the more you comment, the better your chances of winning. The tour dates can be found here: 


Hi Cathy! Can you tell the readers a little bit about yourself?

I’m Cathy Mansell, author of shadow Across the Liffey and Her Father’s Daughter. I was born in Dublin, Ireland and brought up there as a child.  When I was twenty I married and moved to Leicester, England where my husband had a job waiting in the hosiery business. Unfortunately, he died of leukaemia and I was a lone parent with two very young children.  Five years later I met and married my present husband, Dennis.  We have three grown up children and eight grandchildren plus a Beagle, and live in the countryside of south Leicestershire, England.
 

Do you ever experience writer’s block?

Yes, I do.  And what works for me is, I go back and read the previous 2 or 3 chapters and then I usually see why I got blocked in the first place.  Another way is to go for a walk in the countryside.  It refreshes my brain and gives me a different prospective when I come back to write.
 

If you had to go back and do it all over, is there any aspect of your novel or getting it published that you would change?

I don’t think you can change that happens along the road to publication.  It is all part and parcel of getting published. The majority of authors have had to hone their craft to get their work up to scratch. It’s a long climb up that ladder to success. But so worth the journey when you get there.
 

How do you market your work? What avenues have you found to work best for your genre?

I am just discovering what works best for me in marketing my books.  I think reviews help enormously, also blogging, and networking, word of mouth and advertising.  I’m still experimenting. It takes time to build up a readership.
 

Will you have a new book coming out soon?

Yes, I’m thrilled to say that my second book, Her Father’s Daughter is out with Tirgearr Publishing on 6th June.
The story is set in a factitious newspaper office in Cork city, Ireland.  The heroine, Sarah leaves her home in Dublin to take a position in Cork after a series of arguments with her parents. They  are totally opposed to the move.  This, at a time when jobs are scarce. The whole situation baffles Sarah and she leaves under a cloud, financially insecure.  She takes a rented room unaware that the property owner is a pervert.

Do you have any advice to give to aspiring writers?

Is there anything that you would like to say to your readers and fans?
I would love to hear from readers and fans.  If there are any of you out there reading my books, thank you. It would be nice to hear from you via email or through my website or tirgearrpublishing.com. As a new author I would be most appreciative.

 

SHADOW ACROSS THE LIFFEY By Cathy Mansell

BLURB: 
 
A gripping story of how family secrets can wreak havoc on the present.

In 60’s Ireland life is hard for widow, Oona Quinn, grief-stricken by the tragic deaths of her husband and five-year-old daughter. Struggling to survive, she meets charismatic Jack Walsh at the Shipping Office.

Vinnie Kelly, her son's biological father, just out of jail, sets out to destroy Oona and all she holds dear. Haunted by her past, she has to fight for her future and the safety of her son, Sean. But Vinnie has revenge on his mind . ..

Excerpt:

The roar of the traffic made her head ache as she hurried along the pavement towards the bus stop. People hurried past and life went on, but Oona felt hers had truly ended.

Foolishly she had assumed that her love, together with constant reassurance from the family, would be enough to help heal Sean’s pain. She had been shocked to discover that deep down he was struggling with his own demons. Sean playing truant, and his disruptive behaviour, was tearing her apart. She couldn’t take much more. It was only a week since she had last been at the school to discuss him. Confusion scrambled her mind as she tried to work out what might have happened this time.

Pausing to catch her breath, she knocked on the headmaster’s door. Her stomach tightened.

Mr Mulvane glanced at her over his thick-rimmed spectacles. ‘I’m sorry to have taken you away from your work again,’ he said, ‘but I’m afraid…’ he cleared his throat, ‘shall we say that Sean is heading for expulsion if he continues to misbehave. The cane has little effect on him, and it grieved me to have to use it.’
 

Her heart sank. ‘What’s happened? What’s he done now?’

‘I know this is distressing for you, Mrs Quinn, but there’s been another altercation in the playground. This time it has resulted in a bloody nose for the O’Neill boy.’

‘Oh, dear God, no.’ She sighed. ‘What with the truancy and now this.’
‘That is why I called you.’ He paused.
 

AUTHOR INFORMATION:

Member of
Leicester Writers’ Club, Just Write workshop, Life President of Lutterworth Writers’ Group, Member NAWG, Member Romantic Novelist Association and past president of Riverside Speakers club.


Cathy is an experienced writer of romantic fiction. Her early work was competition short stories and articles published in national magazines. She was Editor in Chief of the Leicestershire Anthology, ‘Taking Off’, a book promoted and supported by Arts Council UK.

In recent times, Cathy has turned to writing full-length novels that are set in Ireland/England. Her debut book Shadow Across the Liffey was published on 7th February 2013 by Tirgearr Publishing.  She was a recent contestant on the TV show Food Glorious Food to be broadcast on 27th February 2013

cathy.ashbymagna@zen.co.uk
www.cathymansell.com
www.facebook.com/cathy.mansell4
twitter.@cathymansell3
www.linkedin.com/pub/cathy-mansell/46/B50/550

Buy links:

www.tirgearrpublishing.com
www.amazon.co.uk
www.amazon.com
www.amazon.com/tirgearrpublishing


Share/Bookmark

25 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Gale,

Thank you for having me as your guest
today. I'm delighted to be here.

I hope your readers will stop by
and leave me a message.

Best
wishes
Cathy

Mary Preston said...

Everything is such a learning process, publishing included. I enjoyed the interview thank you.

marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

Cathy Mansell said...

Thank you are reading it Mary.
You are so right.

I hope you have a good day.
Here in the UK it is very dull. So here's hoping for some sunshine later.

Cathy

Kemberlee said...

I've read both Shadow Across the Liffey and Her Father's Daughter. Both are wonderful reads. They take you back to a time in Ireland we don't usually get to read about. Normally Irish stories are either rooted in politics, one of the wars, or heavily influenced in religion. Or a combination of the above. Cathy's stories are about believable characters under extreme but recognizable situations during those times. Cathy's stories play on all the emotions and senses, which I love. Definitely must read stories. Can't wait for the next one.

Goddess Fish Promotions said...

Thank you for hosting

Cathy Mansell said...

Thank you for this lovely comment Kemberley.
I'm hoping that being here on Gales blog will entice some of her readers to leave me a
comment or question.

Cathy

June Kearns said...

Hello Gale,
I've read Cathy's Shadow Across the Liffey,too, and loved it. For me, it's in the best, heartwarming Irish tradition, with that very seductive setting, of course.
I'm looking forward to Her Father's Daughter.

Shannon R said...

Thank you for sharing your personal thoughts with us. It sounds like you can relate in many ways to the main character and I am sure that has enriched the story

fencingromein at hotmail dot com

Cathy Mansell said...

Thank you June - A lovely comment.
I hope when you get time you'll also enjoy Her Father's Daughter with links to the Magdalene Laundries.

Cathy

Cathy Mansell said...

Hi Shannon. Lovely Irish name.
Thanks for reading my post.
And yes, I'm sure that having experienced the death of my first
husband, it helped me in the writing of Shadow Across the Liffey.
Thanks for stopping by.
Cathy

Lynette Willows said...

I can't wait to read these. Nice talk, Cathy.

MomJane said...

This story really sounds heart stopping. I hope she handles all the problems well. The next book sounds more suspenseful still.

margaret kaine said...

An interesting interview Cathy. I loved Shadow across the Liffey, and am so looking forward to reading Her Father's Daughter. Such an evocative title.

Cathy Mansell said...

Hi Lynette - Lovely of you to find
time to stop by.
It's been an exciting time with two
books out in the space of four months.

I'm thrilled.
Thanks for your comment

Cathy

Cathy Mansell said...

Thanks for calling in here Jane.
I hope you got your G.C. okay!

For some reason I couldn't get the
.com site to send dollars.

Thanks for your comment. I hope you
enjoy Her Father's Daughter.

Cathy

Lizzie Lamb said...

Cathy, having read Shadow Across the Liffey I can't wait to read HER FATHER'S DAUGHTER. Those Magdalene Laundries were scandalous and one wonders just how many women were separated from their children. Heart breaking . . . and I'm sure you've handled it sensitively.

Cathy Mansell said...

Thank you Margaret for finding time
out of your busy life to make a comment.

It is appreciated.

Cathy

Ingeborg said...

Nice interview, I enjoy learning more about the author.

Kit3247(at)aol(dot)com

bn100 said...

Very nice interview

bn100candg at hotmail dot com

Cathy Mansell said...

;Thanks so much for your comment
Ingeborg.
Glad you dropped by and enjoyed the interview.

Cathy

Cathy Mansell said...

Thanks so much for dropping by.

Cathy

Cathy Mansell said...


Thank you so much for having me
as your guest Gale.
I've enjoyed being here.

And I hope your readers enjoyed the post.
I'll chose a winner later on today.

Cathy

Cathy Mansell said...

Thanks to everyone who left comments. I will choose a winner
tomorrow.
A huge thanks to Gale for hosting me.

Cathy

Gale Stanley said...

Thank you for posting, Cathy. Looking forward to reading your book. Gale

Cathy Mansell said...

Thanks Gale -
The WINNER PICKED AT RANDON IS SHANNON.
CONGRATULATIONS SHANNON. A $5 GIFT CERT IS ON ITS WAY TO YOU.

Thanks for your comments.