BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, May 2, 2013

#Interview with #author Caitlyn Nicholas - The Danger Game




Today I'm interviewing Caitlyn Nicholas, author of The Danger Game. Don't forget to post your own questions and comments.

Caitlyn will be awarding a Caitlyn Nicholas gift bag to a randomly drawn commenter at every stop, and a grand prize of a $10 Amazon gift card and a Caitlyn Nicholas gift bag to one randomly drawn commenter during the tour.(International)

Follow the tour to better your chances of winning the grand prize. The other stops are here: http://goddessfishpromotions.blogspot.com/2013/03/virtual-book-tour-danger-game-by.html
Hi Caitlyn! Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?

I’m Caitlyn Nicholas, I live in Sydney, Australia, with two beautiful girls, a magical black cat (who is 18 years old and still catching mice), a gold plated Cavalier King Charles Spaniel (who likes to eat bees and be rushed to the vet), a long suffering husband (who is an excellent proof-reader), and four chooks (who enjoy digging up my vegetable garden.)
 
What do you do when you are not writing?

I love my garden, so when I’m not writing I’m usually outside planting things.  I also ride horses whenever I can, and I love to cook, so I’m often creating something in the kitchen.  I also spend a horrible amount of time on facebook and twitter!

When did you first start writing and when did you finish your first book?

I began writing in 2005. Exhausted, pregnant (sure I was going to die from morning-sickness) and coping with a demanding toddler, I decided the time was right to embark on a writing career. (In hindsight I may have been suffering from a scorching case of sleep-deprivation).
I set myself small goals.  Stuck to them, and the first draft took me about five months.    Right before my younger daughter was born I submitted the manuscript to Samhain Publishing and a few days after we came home from hospital a contract arrived in my inbox!

Do you ever experience writer’s block?

Its not so much writer’s block, but getting stuck at a plot point in the manuscript.  Usually I know where I need to take the characters, but getting them there in a way that works with the rest of the book can be hard.
I find talking it out often helps, usually the solutions are extremely obvious!

Do you work with an outline, or just write?

I outline everything.  That doesn’t mean I follow the outline completely, but I always have it.   I used to just write, but for every ten words that ended up in the final draft, I deleted twenty.  It was time consuming and frustrating.  But once I started outlining and had a plan this became a thing of the past.
 
Can you tell us about your upcoming book?

I wrote The Danger Game over Christmas 2011.  The idea sparked when I read an article about cyber-war, and it inspired a plot about an unstoppable cyber-weapon. By early February I had the first draft done. It was also the first story I’d based in my home city of Sydney, and it was a real pleasure to write about the city I love.  The Danger Game was one of those sweet stories that just come together nicely.  I wish all my stories were as easy to write!


Will you have a new book coming out soon?

My next book, The Bunker, is out in July 2013.  It’s a romantic suspense set in a bunker deep under the idyllic green hills of England.  Geeky Dimity Pond is the only person who can save the world from an epic financial meltdown, but to do it she’s going to need help from the reclusive and terse Lord Richard Summerhayes.
 
Is there anything that you would like to say to your readers and fans?

I hope you enjoy The Danger Game! Don’t forget to leave a comment and enter my giveaway.  Prizes include much sought after Timtams (Australian chocolate biscuit).


So tell me, do you love a geeky heroine?



The Danger Game
by Caitlyn Nicholas
 
~~~~~~~~~~~~~

BLURB:

Flick likes computers. She’s good with them, and they do what she tells them, mostly. People, however, are more of a challenge.
But when a terrifyingly dangerous program is stolen, and her mentor killed, Flick finds herself on the run. The police are convinced she’s committed murder, and a sinister weapons developer will stop at nothing to force her to work for him.
In Ben’s line of work being suspicious keeps you alive. So when Flick turns to him, he quickly realises that she’s up to her neck in trouble and hasn’t fully grasped the danger she is in. 
First he has to keep her safe, and then, together, they have to figure out how to save the world from an epic meltdown.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Excerpt:

Three hours later she stood outside the thick glass doors of the ITC building and groaned as she remembered that her swipe cards, keys, and phone sat comfortably inside on her desk.  She only had her wallet, and right now money and credit cards were next to useless.
She thought of the Security guard in the Vice Chancellor’s building. Maybe he’d still be there and would have access to get her in, or at least know who could help.  She checked her watch.  Nearly midnight.
“Locked out?” She jumped as a voice spoke, close behind her.
The security guard emerged from the shadows.
“Woah,” she said.  “Are you following me?”
“Yes,” he said.
“I know Tai-Kwon-Do.”
“Really?” he said. “I bet I know it better.”
“I’m bet you do, actually.”
He was tall, she barely came up to his shoulder, and he looked broad and intimidating in his dark suit and white shirt. 
“Its not safe at this time of night, do you know how many assaults there are on campus? Especially on a Friday night.”
“Thanks, but I’m fine -” She peered at his name badge, squinting in the dim light.  “- Ben. I can look after myself.”
“Except for being locked out right now.” He raised his eyebrows enquiringly, with the hint of a smile.
“Yes, except for that.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~



AUTHOR Bio and Links:

I began writing in 2005. Exhausted, pregnant (sure I was going to expire from morning-sickness) and coping with a demanding toddler, I decided the time was right to embark on a writing career. (In hindsight I may have been suffering from a scorching case of sleep-deprivation).

Still, it kinda worked out. My debut novel - and the first manuscript I'd ever written - Running Scared, was published in January 2007.  My next book, Secret Intentions followed.  Then I had a short story published in the Mammoth Book of Special Ops Romance (MBSOR) in 2010 - my story is called The Grey Man.
In 2012 my novel Drive Me To Distraction was published, and my novella The Danger Game came out just before Christmas.  My next book, The Bunker, will be published in July 2013.

Author Links

You can find me online at: http://www.caitlynnicholas.com
My blog: http://www.caitlynnicholas.blogspot.com
Twitter: http://twitter.com/CaitlynNicholas
Fb: https://www.facebook.com/CaitlynNicholasAuthor
Google plus: https://plus.google.com/u/0/105412279044420141735/
Goodreads: http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/783424.Caitlyn_Nicholas
Buy links
Amazon http://www.amazon.com/The-Danger-Game-ebook/dp/B00AK3GTTI/
Amazon UK http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Danger-Game-ebook/dp/B00AK3GTTI/
Kobo http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/THE-DANGER-GAME/book-4CHaOFNh70yB3UeAWKA7lg/page1.html?s=shBHL7QvTEeR0uGd3fnOsA&r=1
Nook http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/the-danger-game-nicholas-caitlyn/1114588729?ean=9780857990105
Ibookstore https://itunes.apple.com/us/book/the-danger-game/id585508156?mt=11
Or on Goodreads http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16280752-the-danger-game

 


Share/Bookmark

6 comments:

Goddess Fish Promotions said...

Thank you for hosting

Ingeborg said...

I enjoyed the interview and learning more about you. I also love working in my garden, it is very relaxing.

Andra Lyn said...

lol! I think we all spend a bit too much time on twitter and facebooK! thanks for the interview! Danger Game looks awesome!

andralynn7 AT gmail DOT com

Caitlyn Nicholas said...

LOL Andra :) Thanks Ingeborg!

Cait :)

Mary Preston said...

I'm quite happy for a heroine to be geeky. It's the geeks who ultimately keep the world running I think.

marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

Karen H in NC said...

Sorry for the late post. I’m playing catch-up here so I’m just popping in to say HI and sorry I missed visiting with you on party day! Hope you all had a good time!
kareninnc at gmail dot com