BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, February 11, 2013

#Book Tour #Interview: The Arrival @ Nicole MacDonald



Please welcome my guest Nicole MacDonald, who is here to talk about her new book, The Arrival, which is available free at the sites posted below.
Enjoy the interview and excerpt and don't forget to leave a comment.

Nicole will be awarding a $50.00 gift card – Amazon or Barnes & Noble, winners choice, to a randomly drawn commenter during the tour.
Follow the tour and comment to better your chances of winning. The tour dates can be found here:
http://goddessfishpromotions.blogspot.com/2012/09/virtual-nbtm-tour-arrival-by-nicole.html

Hi Nicole. Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?

I am a thirty year old New Zealander who works fulltime as a receptionist and moonlights as a novelist. I have three full length novels out and one erotic short story (wrote it as an experiment). I live with my partner and our dog and cat.

How did you choose the genre you write in?

I didn’t specifically set out to write fantasy, but when the ideas occurred to me I just couldn’t resist. Who doesn’t want to play in a magical world?


Where do you get your ideas?

Life. My friends, family, my pets. Occasionally dreams and even really bad reality TV shows (fantastic for conflicts ideas! *lol*)


Do you work with an outline, or just write?

Both. I like to plot out major points and how I get there is usually up to the characters and it’s frequently surprising.


Is anything in your book based on real life experiences or purely all imagination?

Real life experiences often trigger ideas for my books. Even the erotic short was inspired by real life events (which if written frankly would make for a good comedy…)


What was your favorite chapter (or part) to write and why?

Ooo… So hard to choose! I love writing the battle scenes because it really gets the blood racing, and I love writing the sad scenes because they feel so intense and then you get to write the happy scenes! And at the same time, I hate writing all those bits *lol* I think every part brings joy and frustration for me as the author.


What project are you working on now?

A steampunk story, a YA series and I’m mucking around with a sequel to the erotic short.


Are there certain characters you would like to go back to, or is there a theme or idea you’d love to work with?

Oooo yes!! I’d really like to do some standalone books showing certain character’s from the inside out. I can’t say whom, as it might give away too much for a new reader to the BirthRight Trilogy. But standalone book ideas are circulating in my head.




The Arrival
by Nicole MacDonald
~~~~~~~~~~~~~
BLURB:
Four friends in the midst of a man drought cast a love spell on a whim, unexpectedly landing them on another planet.
Oops.
On a foreign and often hostile world, love teeters on the horizon while the threat of civil war looms thanks to the girls' surprising gifts. Will the girls master these gifts in time to survive a war in which not only are they the ultimate weapons, but also the ultimate prize?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Excerpt:

 Introduction
 'Cat’s down!' hollered Sensei as he tracked the grappling pairs in the room.
I wrapped my legs around Nathan’s hips. The look of shock on his face amused me, even more so when I gave him a suggestive smile, arching my eyebrow.
Cheap shot? Not if he fell for it. He didn’t register what I was up to until his head connected with the mat. I smirked down at him.
Sensei had a wide smile as he called, 'Catherine wins.'
Nathan scowled at me.
'Get off, would you?'
I stood and sauntered to the side, joining Kassie as we watched the final pairs fight. Tonight I’d won all three of my fights.
Not quite as good as Loi. I watched as she brought Daniel down to the mat hard enough that he yelped in pain. Sometimes the two inch mats didn’t feel that thick. I felt a pang of sympathy for him.
'Laura wins, making her this evening’s champion,' Sensei crowed in triumph. Kassie and I hollered, clapping for Loi as she stood, ever graceful, and walked our way. Most of the guys in the room had rueful smiles as they joined in the applause.
'I can’t believe you’re letting yourselves get beaten by girls,' Sensei shook his head in mock distress. 'What will I tell the other sensei at the meet?'
'That you train Amazons,' Jason, the class smart ass, quipped back.
Actually that was a good description for Laura, though I didn’t think you’d see many Amazons with Scottish accents. Five foot eight, with a figure like a pin-up girl and thick black hair to her waist, Loi made most people look twice.
'What’s the magic word?' demanded a saccharin sweet voice, interrupting my thoughts.
The three of us, along with those sitting out, turned to look. There was Sian, the fourth of our quartet, with Grant beneath her tiny thighs.
For some reason Grant felt the need to be stubborn when tapping out with Sian. It may be due to her dainty appearance. Sian was the blond in our group and just adorable to look at. Dainty and precious, more like precocious, truth be told, she scraped in at just five foot like Kassie. But while Kassie had a curvy busty figure, Sian was petite in every sense of the word; except personality.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~




AUTHOR Bio and Links:

Nicole MacDonald is the Independent author of The Arrival, and, Awakening, the first two books in the BirthRight Trilogy. Writing had never been a lifelong dream for her until she began The Arrival, but it now is an all-consuming passion.

A proud Kiwi (New Zealander) Nicole dreams that one day Peter Jackson will be in touch to option the film rights for the BirthRight Trilogy. When she's not daydreaming about that she's working on book three in the trilogy - Feel the Burn, available December 2012 - and planning future works.

Blog: www.damselinadirtydress.com
Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/TheBirthRightTrilogy
Twitter: @DmslinaDrtyDrss
Youtube link to book trailer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mKcn9LMrK30&list=WL994280763A299228&feature=mh_lolz
Amazon US - free: http://www.amazon.com/The-Arrival-BirthRight-Trilogy-ebook/dp/B004HD5WAE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1347750674&sr=8-3&keywords=the+arrival
Itunes US - free: http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/the-arrival/id431517784?mt=11
Itunes UK - free: http://itunes.apple.com/gb/book/the-arrival/id431517784?mt=11
Kobo - free: http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/The-Arrival/book-fW1uiT1a2U27zweXd_D9jw/page1.html?s=m6zvEHUwuU6GCa6fCqs70A&r=1
Sony ereader store - free: http://ebookstore.sony.com/ebook/nicole-macdonald/the-arrival/_/R-400000000000000340919
Smashwords (any format) - free: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/34874


Share/Bookmark

8 comments:

Goddess Fish Promotions said...

Thank you for hosting

Ingeborg said...

Great excerpt, thank you.

Kit3247(at)aol(dot)com

Nicole MacDonald said...

Thank you for hosting me today - and *argh* I can't believe I put a typo in there ;p

Gale Stanley said...

LOL, it went write past me. Corrected now. Thanks for being my guest today. Gale

MomJane said...

I actually read this story. I found it awesome, exciting and well worth the time I spent reading it. I loved it.

Mary Preston said...

I love to dive right into a fantasy world with my reading.

marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the chance to win

hense1kk At cmich dot edu

Andra Lyn said...

You're working on a Steampunk book???? Thats awesome! I love steampunk!

andralynn7@gmail.com