BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, December 13, 2012

Excerpt Tour: Last Diner Standing by Terri L. Austin





Terri L. Austin is here today sharing an excerpt from the new book in her  mystery series, Last Diner Standing, A Rose Strickland Mystery.


Terri will be awarding one commenter at every stop a signed bookmark and a cover postcard (USA/Canada Only), and one randomly drawn commenter on the tour will receive a $25 gift card to Amazon or B&N, winner's choice.



Follow the tour and comment for a better chance of winning. The tour dates can be found here:




Last Diner Standing
by Terri L. Austin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Blurb

Rose Strickland is having a blue Christmas. Her friend is arrested for attempted murder, her sexy bad guy crush is marked by a hit man, and her boss is locked in an epic smackdown with a rival diner. Determined to save those she loves, Rose embarks on an investigation more tangled than a box of last year's tree lights. With her eclectic gang at the ready, Rose stumbles across dead bodies, ex-cons, chop shops, jealous girlfriends, jilted lovers, and a gaggle of strippers in a battle for freedom she might not survive.

Excerpt

The Bottom Dollar lived down to its hype. A shithole on the wrong side of town with painted windows and a silhouette of a naked woman on the sign. In its former life it had probably been an Italian restaurant, judging from the terra cotta tile floor and the fake stucco walls now painted bright purple.
The bouncer at the door sized us up, his glance lingering on Roxy. “Like the outfit. You here to audition for Freddy?”
“Yeah, where can we find him?” I asked.
He hiked a thumb over his shoulder. After we walked past him, Roxy glared in my direction.
“Audition?”
“Your stripper name could be Sailor Moon.”
She scowled. “We don’t joke about Sailor Moon, Rose. That’s sacred.”
“Sorry.”
We moved farther into the darkened club. Loud hip hop beat at us from all sides, pulsing its way into my head as a DJ near the stage yelled incoherently into a microphone. Blue and purple glow-in-the-dark swirls covered the carpet, and the place reeked of booze and stale sweat.
The room was two-thirds full of men, all staring at the woman on stage like dieters watching a burger commercial.  
I was a little spellbound myself. I nudged Roxy’s arm. “Look at her abs. You could bounce a quarter off that six- pack.”
“It’s takes a lot of muscle to work a pole.”
Before I could question her further, a man with a faux hawk stepped out of nowhere. “Hey, I’m Freddy Libra.” He wiped a finger under his nose. “You here to audition?” He wore a long-sleeved shiny shirt, the kind I thought they stopped making in the eighties.
“I’m looking for Destiny.”
He placed his hand on my shoulder. I stared at it until he removed it. “Why you looking for Des?”
“I’m her cousin. Our aunt’s in the hospital. Thought she’d like to know.”




Buy Links:






AUTHOR Bio and Links:

Terri L. Austin lives in Missouri with her funny, handsome husband and a high maintenance peekapoo.  She’s the author of Diners, Dives and Dead Ends—a Rose Strickland Mystery.  “Austin’s debut kicks off her planned series by introducing a quirky, feisty heroine and a great supporting cast of characters and putting them through quite a number of interesting twists.” Kirkus Reviews

http://www.twitter.com/TerriLAustin
http://www.goodreads.com/TerriLAustin
http://www.linkedin.com/in/TerriLAustin
https://plus.google.com/114753055559800020620
https://pinterest.com/terrilaustin






Share/Bookmark

12 comments:

Goddess Fish Promotions said...

Thank you for hosting today.

MomJane said...

Loved this excerpt. I really want to read this story.

Catherine Lee said...

A "high maintenance peekapoo"? What's a peekapoo? Is it a cross between a pekinese and a poodle? Weird!

Terri L. Austin said...

Good morning! Thank you so much for having me on Wake Up Your Wild Side today! It's a pleasure to be here!

Thanks, MomJane. At Amazon and B&N the first book, Diners, Dives and Dead Ends is on sale for .99 and Last Diner Standing for 2.99. Don't know how long it will last.

LOL, Catherine Lee! Yes, it is a mix between to two dogs. They're quite adorable! I swear!

Joni said...

Hi Terri! Joni again! Nice to chat with you again! I would like to know if Sullivan is going to keep taking what he wants from Rose. If you know what I mean! He takes what he wants in every other part of his life! He is being Barronseque in his making her make the first move and "tough love" techniques. I think you have tortured us enough! I liked the kisses but how does she continue to control herself?! I would be all over that! Another question: Are any of your characters based on real friends you have? I would love to hang out at Ma's Diner and with Ax and Stoner Joe! All the characters remind me of friends and family I have. Maybe it's a Missouri thing but I can really relate to your characters. Except for Henry I don't know anyone like him but he's like an onion lots of layers!

Ingeborg said...

Great excerpt, thank you.

Terri L. Austin said...

Thanks, Ingeborg! I appreciate it!

Joni--

The people in my life are sadly pretty normal. My characters are sort of larger than life, while hopefully staying real.

I think Sullivan is biding his time, letting Rose come to him. She's attracted, but on the fence. He is a bad guy after all. ;) But I think Sullivan really cares for Rose. But I'm not sure he's happy about it.

Henry is a fun character. And yes, is like an onion! He started off as muscle and has turned into something more. He's constantly surprising me.

Anonymous said...

Never heard of a pekapoo before (though we had a cockapoo when I was little, so I should know).

vitajex(at)aol(Dot)com

Terri L. Austin said...

Poodle mixes seem to be really popular for some reason.

Terri L. Austin said...

Thanks so much for having me on today! And thanks everyone for commenting!

Mary Preston said...

This is going to be such a fantastic read. Everything tells me so.

marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

Christine D. said...

LOL. I was waiting for an excerpt describing the strip club. Hehe. This is a promising read.

chrysrawr@yahoo.com