BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Fort Worth: Arriving in the City of Cowboys and Culture


Last week I was in Fort Worth, Texas for a family wedding. The DH and I flew US Air, Thursday, May 31. I accepted the security lines, taking my shoes off, and being groped. I dealt with the turbulence and the lack of seat room. But when they ran out of food before they got to our seats—row 18—it blew my mind. Needless to say we were starving when we landed but we still had miles to go before we could eat. We collected our bags and took a 10 minute shuttle ride to the rental car center. Then we had a 20 minute drive to downtown Fort Worth. That's me above recuperating from a long frustrating day of traveling with a big frosted goblet at Jake's Hamburgers.

We loved their burgers and sweet potato fries. I had my first taste of fried pickles, and now I'm addicted!  When we walked across the street to our hotel we were laughing at all the poppy seeds stuck in our teeth, but it was all good. At least we could laugh with our tummies full.

The Embassy Suites Downtown Fort Worth was a nice surprise. It's located in the downtown area, just a short walk from Sundance Square and all the restaurants and Entertainment. Everyone was friendly and professional and you can't beat the free booze and appetizers at their manager's happy hour reception every night from 5:30 to 7:30. Breakfast was also free. Not a continental breakfast, but cooked to order food, from biscuits and gravy, to pancakes, to omelets and a cold buffet with yogurt and fruit. There's also a Starbucks in the lobby and a restaurant – Thai Tina's, which we didn't have time to sample.



The suite was comfortable with two separate areas divided by French doors. The bathroom was a little smaller than usual, but that's my only complaint. All the amenities were there including, fridge, microwave, two flat screen TVs and high-speed internet access. So after checking out the room and the margaritas at happy hour we headed over to Frankie's Sports Bar for the wedding rehearsal dinner.

Frankie's is the new kid on the block. It opened March 2011. The 8,000 square foot restaurant and bar features umpteen HDTV's and state-of-the-art audio. I switched to wine at Frankie's and feeling pleasantly pickled we headed back to our hotel at midnight.

To Be Continued…


Share/Bookmark

0 comments: