BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, December 1, 2011

Lorelei Confer: Why I Self-Published CHRISTMAS AWAKENINGS


I’m excited to have author, Lorelei Confer here today. In addition to writing romantic suspense for SirenBookstrand, she just self-published a Christmas anthology and I’m anxious to pick her brain. So, Lorelei, what led you to self-publishing?
Our world as we know it is changing in many areas, especially in the book market. With modern technology growing in leaps and bounds it’s hard to stay on top of all the changes. Being a published author and promoting my own work anyway, I wanted to jump on the band wagon of self publishing.

I decided to self-publish my short Christmas book, CHRISTMAS AWAKENINGS, for a number of reasons. First, it is a compilation or anthology of four short, inspiring and uplifting Christmas stories totaling 18000 words. It is and will remain an eBook which is very hard to sell to a big publisher in this economic market.
Second, and my main concern, was that it reached the readers. I formatted the book through Smashwords and then uploaded it to Amazon. It was very easy using Smashwords downloadable Style Guide and it was free. Can’t beat that price! It automatically went to Barnes & Noble, Mobi-pocket, Kobo and others via Smashwords.

Setting my own price of $.99 for this particular book at this particular time was great. I wanted to reach a lot of readers and make it really affordable. Especially now with the popular Kindle and Nook. Who knows? Maybe next year I’ll change the price to $2.99. I have that capability.
Self Publishing also allows me to release the books on “my” schedule and based on the demand of the readers and my ability to get the job done. I actually did this in September but didn’t start marketing it till November 1st.

There are numerous editing services around. I highly and very strongly recommend that you take advantage of them and have your work professionally edited as I did. This maintains the integrity of your work and all future books coming from various and numerous authors.
I strongly feel that e-publishing and traditional publishing should go hand in hand. Traditional publishers have the ability of turning a book into an event, something memorable that readers want to keep on their shelves and show off to friends as part of their personality. And that’s fine. I believe there is a place for all manner of books as long as they are well written and tell a wonderful story.

So, yes, there is a place for everyone in the world of books in whatever form as long as they reach the readers.
Lorelei Confer on the web:

www.loreleiconfer.blogspot.com



CHRISTMAS AWAKENINGS

An anthology of four short inspirational Christmas stories to help you get into the holiday spirit.

Available at Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/CHRISTMAS-AWAKENINGS-ebook/dp/B005U512HU/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1322705306&sr=1-1

DEADLY DELIVERANCE coming Jan 2012 from SirenBookstrand


Available Now At Bookstrand:

DEADLY REVENGE (June 2011)
http://www.bookstrand.com/deadly-revenge


DEADLY DECEPTION (Nov 2010)
http://www.bookstrand.com/deadly-deception



Bookmark and Share


Share/Bookmark

5 comments:

Gale Stanley said...

Thanks so much for sharing your experience with us and much luck with the new book.

Lorelei Confer said...

Thanks for having me Gale. Please feel free to ask wuestions ro share your own expereice with me. I'll be here all day.
Again a big thank you to Gale for hosting me.

JP said...

Thanks for inviting Lorelei to visit. The future is ebooks, plain and simple. Books as we have know them will become a novelty one day.
Good luck with your book Lorelei.

Katalina Leon said...

Best wishes to you Lorelei, I hope your anthology is a holiday hit!
XXOO Kat

maggieblackbird said...

Great interview. I'm slowly learning more about indie publishing and your post was very helpful.