BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, November 14, 2011

Writers Meeting Writers


Writing is a solitary endeavor, but most of the time I’m so involved with my characters I don’t feel lonely at all. I’m a member of two online groups, Romance Writers of America and Passionate Ink.  And I belong to twenty plus Yahoo Groups. When I need a little encouragement, I have lots of supportive friends in cyberspace. They may be all over the globe but they’re only an email away.
Last week when I took the girls to Barnes and Noble I found out there would be a writer’s group meeting that Sunday. I made note of the time, thinking it would give me a good excuse to get away from the laptop and visit the bookstore again. Then yesterday morning I got involved in the new MS and almost didn’t go. But it was a beautiful balmy sixty degrees and every time I looked up and saw the sun shining in my window, I got more antsy. Finally I got dressed and hopped in the car.

Boy am I glad I did. I found the writer's group in the cafe area. We were a small group, of various ages, but we all had one thing in common – our love of writing. Published or unpublished, there is always something new to learn. Someone threw out a writing prompt, a topic to kick start the imagination and we wrote for fifteen minutes. Then it was pens down, and time to share what we’d written. It was a good exercise but my favorite part of the meeting was the chance to talk about writing, and hear what others were working on.  

There’s something to be said for meeting face to face with others who share your passion. Nobody understands the absolute need to write like another writer. Sharing success and commiserating over failure with a small group of sympathetic listeners is therapy for the soul. It can keep you sane. This was my first meeting but it definitely won’t be my last.


Bookmark and Share


Share/Bookmark

0 comments: