BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Meet Delaney Diamond


Talented author Delaney Diamond is here today to talk about writing and share an excerpt from her newest release, The Temptation of a Good Man. Ask questions and leave comments because Delaney is giving a $10 Amazon gift card and an eBook copy of Fight for Love to one lucky commenter. Follow Delaney’s tour and increase your chances of winning. The tour dates can be found here: http://goddessfishpromotions.blogspot.com/2011/09/virtual-book-tour-dark-furture-by-kc.html


Welcome Delaney. Tell us a little about yourself.


Thank you for having me, Gale!


I was born and raised in the U.S. Virgin Islands. Since 1998, Atlanta, Georgia has been my home. I write sweet and sensual romance novels in the interracial and African-American subgenres and the Love & Romance in Color column for Night Owl Reviews Magazine. I read romance novels, mysteries, thrillers, and a fair amount of nonfiction. I wrote my first romance novel at the age of 14 and received rave reviews from my friends . I tapped out 89 pages on a typewriter and called it Captured Heart.


I’m a diehard foodie, so when my head’s not buried in a book, I’m in the kitchen trying out new recipes or dining at my favorite restaurants with friends. My other interests include holistic health, traveling, and frugal living.


Here’s where you can find me online:


Facebook fan page: www.facebook.com/DelaneyDiamond
Facebook personal profile: http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001990293210
Website and blog: http://www.delaneydiamond.com/
Twitter: https://twitter.com/delaneydiamond

When did you first realize that you wanted to be a writer, and what was it that inspired you to start writing?


I’ve always read a lot, ever since I was little. In elementary school the librarian used to set aside books for me. Yeah, we were tight like that. I wrote my first romance novel at the age of fourteen (which I only shared with my friends), and I won a few short story contests throughout high school, but I never seriously considered writing until two years ago. For some reason, a trip to Rome a few years before made me consider it. I did some freelance writing in 2008, and in 2009 I decided to give fiction writing a try. I joined the Romance Writers of America in January of 2010, and in November 2010 my debut novel, The Arrangement, was released by Amira Press.


What is the one thing you WISH you knew when you were first starting out in your writing career?


I wish I’d known the importance of building a base of readers. Writers who start blogging and building their base on Facebook and other social media sites until their books are released are ahead of the game.


What do you like to do when you are not writing?


I looooooooove to travel. If money were no object, that’s what I would spend most of my time doing. I like to learn about the customs and history of other cultures. I also enjoy cooking and like trying new recipes. I have a radio mounted in the kitchen and listen to music while I cook. It’s very relaxing.


What do you think makes a story great?


I think there are three key elements to a great story: you need interesting characters, well-defined conflict that moves the story forward, and a strong ending that leaves the reader satisfied.


The Temptation of a Good Man sizzles with sexual tension. What's more difficult, writing sexual tension or writing the actual sex scenes?


Glad to hear it! I find the actual scenes harder to write than the sexual tension. I don’t find sex scenes as difficult to write as I used to, but they are still difficult to write. There are only so many ways you can make it interesting and describe the act while making sure the scene flows smoothly and has the right amount of sexual charge you’d like your readers to feel. I enjoy reading love scenes way more than I like to write them!


Did you have the complete plot drawn out from the beginning, or did the characters take over during the writing process?


I’m more of a pantser than a plotter, so the entire plot was not drawn out from the beginning, but I did have an idea of where I wanted it to go and some of the scenes. I don’t generally start writing unless I have something in my head to work from. Once I start writing, the details start to fill in and the story moves forward. I take notes continuously as I’m writing a manuscript so I don’t forget ideas that come to me as I’m writing. I seldom leave the house without my trusty notebook because inspiration can strike at any time.


Your book has been getting great reviews! Personally, I loved it and highly recommend it. Can you give us a hint of what we can expect in future books?


I’m ecstastic that you enjoyed it. Word of mouth is the best sales tool for an author, so thank you very much!


I have a sweet romance due to be released in October from Astraea Press. Worth Waiting For is my first attempt at sweet, and it was quite a challenge to write a compelling story without the sex and references to body parts (LOL). The sexual tension and emotions of the characters become even more important in sweet stories. I think I nailed it, but I’ll see what the readers think.


The Temptation of a Good Man is the first book in the Hawthorne Family series, and Derrick’s story is next. I don’t have a title yet. Despite being adopted by his stepfather, he never quite got over not having a relationship with his biological father. When he finds out the woman he’s seeing is pregnant, he won’t let her raise his child without him–even if it means forcing her to marry him. He’s the angry, bitter brother. I’ve got just the woman to chip through his hard exterior. He won’t know what hit him!


Private Acts (tentative title) is the third book in my Hot Latin Men series. Samirah gladly accepts a position in Ecuador as a cook/housekeeper after her last relationship blows up in her face. She’s an outgoing extrovert who charms everyone she meets. Miguel Delgado is the reclusive artist who lives next door. They begin a steamy affair, but as Samirah’s assignment nears its end, they have to decide if what they feel is enough to build a lasting relationship despite their differences.


Thanks so much for being here and letting me put you on the hot seat.
And now here’s an excerpt from the first book in the Hawthorne Family series.

 The Temptation of a Good Man


Blurb


Can true love be found after one night of passion?


Celeste Burton goes out with her girlfriends to celebrate turning thirty and winds up spending an unforgettable night with the man of her dreams. One week later, as a favor, she attends a wedding with a friend as his date and is shocked when she sees Roarke again.


Roarke Hawthorne despises cheating. Cheating tore apart his family years ago. When the physics professor sees the woman he spent the night with show up at his sister’s wedding on the arm of his brother, he knows he should keep his distance. But because of the night they set fire to the sheets in his hotel room, he can’t resist the urge to be close to her–nor can he resist the temptation to have her back in his bed.


Available at Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/Temptation-Good-Hawthorne-Family-ebook/dp/B005NIOJA6/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1318257804&sr=1-1

Excerpt


He chuckled. “The etymology of names is kind of a hobby of mine.”


“Really?” She looked skeptical.


“What, you doubt me? Pick almost any name, and I can give you the origin and the meaning.”


“No way.”


“I’m serious. Pick one. Make it good.”


She screwed up her face into the cutest little scowl, exaggerating her efforts at concentration. “How about . . . Celeste?”


He spread his palms wide. “Come on—too easy. Give me a harder one.”


She put a hand on her hip. “You don’t know, do you?”


He cast an incredulous look in her direction, unable to believe she’d challenged him. “What? Are you questioning me, my skills, and my honesty?”


She cast her gaze upward toward the ceiling as if to think about it. “Umm . . .” Her gaze lowered again. “Yes.”


“Do you even know what your name means?”


“Of course!” Her indignation was adorable.


“All right, then. It would have been a shame for a man whose life centers around astronomy to not know this one. The name Celeste is derived from Latin. It means ‘from the heavens.’ Heavenly.” He couldn’t take his eyes off of her, and he shouldn’t have edged closer.


The smile on her face made a downward slide. Her throat muscles worked a slow swallow. “Correct,” she said.


“I know.” Roarke rested his elbow on top of the back of the sofa and let his forefinger play with a lock of her hair. She didn’t move away. The back of his hand lightly grazed more of the fine strands. With Herculean strength he resisted the urge to grab a handful. “So what do I get?” he asked.


“I don’t—I don’t know what you mean.”


“You challenged me, and I won. Don’t I get something?”


“You want a prize?”


“Yes.”


A look of uncertainty crossed her face, but after a few seconds, she offered, “How about a hug?”


“A hug is nice, but I’d rather have a kiss.” At her look of alarm, he amended his request. “On the cheek.”


Her brow furrowed in an indication of distrust. “You’re not going to do that thing where you turn at the last minute so I end up kissing you on the mouth, are you?”


Not a bad idea. “No, I’m not. I’m one of the good guys, remember?”


“Good guys don’t coerce kisses from women they just met,” Celeste pointed out.


Undeterred, one corner of his mouth lifted into a half smile. “Actually, they do.”


The pink tip of her tongue peeked out to moisten her lips. His mouth went dry as he watched the fleeting movement. In slow motion she leaned forward and pressed her mouth to his cheek. His jaw hardened on impact, and warmth spread along the side of his face. The light fragrance of her perfume—peaches? apricots?—invaded his nostrils and dismantled his resolve to remain impassive.


He couldn’t resist holding her in place, smashing the soft curls against the back of her head. He heard the sudden inhalation of her breath as he brushed his hair-roughened cheek against the silky-smooth softness of hers.


“That wasn’t so bad, was it?” he asked in a thick voice.


He’d tried to sound nonchalant, as if they were having a normal conversation, but there was nothing normal about his attraction to her. He dipped his head and pressed a quick kiss to the underside of her jaw. She shivered, and she reached out and sank her fingers into his upper arm. The warmth of her touch sent his heart rate escalating at a dangerous pace.


With his hand securely at the nape of her neck, his gaze locked with hers. She’d roused something in him. A powerful, consuming need that made him question the workings of his normally logical brain, now clouded in a befuddling haze of lust.


Her wild-eyed stare signaled her own confusion. “No, it wasn’t,” she whispered.






Bookmark and Share


Share/Bookmark

13 comments:

marybelle said...

"The Temptation of a Good Man" looks great & thank you for the excerpt.

marypres(AT)gmail(DOT)com

Karen H in NC said...

Enjoyed reading the excerpt today. The more I read, the more I like!

Delaney Diamond said...

Hi ladies, good to see you again! Glad you enjoyed the new excerpt. Roarke is something, isn't he? Using he etymology of names to seduce women. Lol.

Calisa Rhose said...

I chuckled at the playfulness in the excerpt. Great interview ladies. Your book sounds awesome Delaney.

Delaney Diamond said...

Thanks, Calisa. I have a few comedic scenes in it. It was fun to write.

PatriciaW said...

Hi Delaney. We recently became FB and Twitter friends. Glad to learn more about you and your writing. Temptation of a Good Man sounds interesting, but I'm really interested in your sweet romance. What made you decide to write one?

Delaney Diamond said...

Hi Patricia! Thanks for stopping in.

When I decided to write romance, I knew I wanted to write sweet and sensual because I read sweet romance, too. In fact, that was my tag line from the beginning (author of sweet and sensual romance). Sometimes I just want an emotional, romantic read without the sexual content, and that's why I read sweet romance.

I didn't know if there'd be much of a market for them in ebooks outside of the big names like Debbie Macomber and Sherryl Woods. But the more I hung out with readers online, the more I realized there were plenty of people like me who like to switch heat levels or even read sweet exclusively.

Worth Waiting For was turned down several times before I found Astraea Press. I was ecstatic when they accepted my book, and the rest is history. I've noticed more publishers creating sweet lines, so the landscape looks good for those of us who like to read and write it.

Chelsea B. said...

Thanks for sharing the excerpt! Great interview!

justforswag(AT)yahoo(DOT)com

Delaney Diamond said...

Thanks, Chelsea!

desitheblonde said...

looks like he waiting for trouble to happen and then hope he will find out what he want i love the cover and then they are great eye catcher
desitheblond@msn.com

heather said...

Ohhh, he is definitely a bad boy, but in a good way :) Awesome excerpt!
chamblinh@gmail.com

Delaney Diamond said...

Thanks, Desi. I've gotten a lot of compliments on the cover. I think it has a lot to do with that hunk, Roarke. :0)

Heather, I like that description! I may have to borrow that line. Lol.

Rosaamzk said...

Ohhh, he is definitely a bad boy, but in a good way :) Awesome excerpt! chamblinh@gmail.com