BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, April 8, 2011

Raine Delight Talks About Series vs. Non-Series Books


I'm thrilled to have Raine Delight here today, talking about writing series vs. non-series books. Before we get started please tell the readers a little about yourself Raine.



Raine Delight is a pseudonym of a self professed book lover and after one too many TSTL characters, decided to see if she could write something a little better. Well many drafts later, Devon Falls series came to together. Check out my book pages to see what is going on with me. My muse is a male nut who likes to leave me to go sip mai tais on the beach and leave me foundering for words; though eventually he takes pity on me and gets my words flowing and characters start settling down.


Personal notes: I live with my own boytoy and two kids. I love Johnny Depp movies and enjoy hiking, reading and watching movies with my family.


My links:


Website: http://authorrainedelight.com
Raine’s Book Nook Blog: http://Rainedelightbooknook.blogspot.com
Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/Raine_Delight
Author/Reader Loop: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Author_Raine_Delight
Email me: rainedelight@yahoo.com
Facebook: www.facebook.com/AuthorRaine-Delight
Shadowfire Press: www.shadowfirepress.com
Secret Cravings Publishing: www.secretcravingspublishing.com

Series vs. non-series books


I got a question from a reader the other day asking why do I write series books. Well that question stopped me in my tracks a bit. I never thought I would write series books but somehow, someway, my muse decided to run with it and today, I have one series with a few more on the way.


What do I love about writing series books? The chance to revisit beloved characters, the chance to explore the world I created more and to see what else will come to the muse to write about. There is no one thing that draws me to series books but the chance to see what else I can explore is a certain draw in MHO. I love seeing where my imagination can take me-from shifters, dream walkers to demons and more. The sky is the limit in my eyes.


Devon Falls was my first series of novellas and one I am particularly proud of. Originally to be only two books, it morphed into more than ten books once I settled down and saw where the muse was going. I was flabbergasted-ten books! I almost fainted but with four founding families to cover, it added up. I am currently redoing the Devon Falls books for my new publisher, Secret Cravings Publishing and they will publish Sticky Magic (Book 1-currently being rewritten and expanded), Red Hot Magic (Book 2), Fiery Magic (Book 3), Haunting Magic (Book 4) & Moonlight & Magic (Book 5) in 2011 with the rest of the series to be coming soon after then I am taking a break for to concentrate on a few other projects then back to finish it off in 2012. *wipes brow* that is a lot of books, if I say so myself.


Next up is a new series, one I am enjoying immensely. Club Fantasy is a paranormal BDSM club run by a half-demon of lust and his lover. I am aiming for this to be a trilogy at first but then we can see what happens after that. Who doesn’t love demons, romance, bdsm aspects? I know I do. *grins* I am having fun seeing where this goes and the research I am doing is having my honey really happy. *grins*


Plus another new series I just sold to Shadowfire Press takes the premise of there is someone for everyone and I toss in some of my favorite paranormal/fantasy creatures (Were-panthers, witches, vampires, elves,etc) and have them find out their destined mate(s) are not who they think it should be. The first book is coming Nov. 2011 and has a surly, alpha were-panther finding that his destined mate is the next door neighbor-a witch who hates all things were. *grins* Can you see the sparks fly when destiny/fate decides these two are perfect for one another?


This isn’t to say I don’t enjoy writing non-series books. I currently have one out at Shadowfire Press called Fantasies Unbound-about a Fae Prince searching for his mate except when he finds her, she is human and that is not allowed. Then I have a story that is a bit of Firefly and a dash of Pirates of the Caribbean that I created called Space Pirates: Bounty for Shadowfire Press. It has the Earth dying and alien slavers stealing the last remaining humans. I like to mix it up and switch from series to non-series books but as writers know, if a plot bunny attacks, you never know where it may lead.


This is just the tip of the iceberg for me. I have other ideas for books (hunky cowboys or elves anyone?) and who knows, maybe they will morph into a series as well. In the meantime, I read some wonderful series from talented authors (Yasmine Galenorn, Deborah Cooke, Jenna Black, JD Robb, etc) and settle in for my own personal reading pleasure while I recharge the muse.


My questions to you- What series to do you enjoy reading and why? Are there any out there you want to recommend?


Check out Raine’s website: http://authorrainedelight.com
and blog: http://rainedelightbooknook.blogspot.com  for more information her books, contests and other fun stuff.


Bookmark and Share


Share/Bookmark

3 comments:

susan-fishman said...

Great post Raine! I love series. I get totally involved with the characters and always want more. The new one sounds good. Love demons!

Calisa Lewis said...

Hey Gale. Hi Raine! Wow, you are one busy writer! Good luck on the expansions and releases!

Shelley Munro said...

Hi, Raine. It's great to meet you. You sound very busy with your series. I love to read series. As you mention it's the fact that you get to revisit a world and the characters.

I have so many favorite series. I like JL Langley's series with werewolves. Lauren Dane and Lorelei James write some good series as does NJ Walters. I could go on for ages...

All the best with your series. :)