BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, April 3, 2011

I'm an Amazon Viner!


Recently I was invited to participate in the Amazon Vine Program. This is something new - or new to me anyway. Why me? Evidently people are chosen because their reviews have been helpful to others. I do review a lot of items on Amazon, I give an honest opinion, and I'm glad to know people have found my reviews helpful.


So now I receive two newsletters a month. I can pick from a variety of items to review. Most of them are books. That's fine with me – I'm an avid reader and I love to talk books.


Vine Voice members are not paid for the reviews and the opinions are strictly ours. Our reviews are not changed or modified in any way. The posted reviews are marked with an Amazon "Vine" in green.


So with that being said, here's the first review I submitted as a new Vine Voice.


STRINGS ATTACHED by Judy Blundell


Strings Attached is a book for young adults. I'm far from a teenager, but I'm young at heart and I've been known to enjoy books written for adolescents. Besides, this is a period piece and the time frame is one I'm familiar with, and enjoy reading about. I looked forward to a look backward and I wasn't disappointed at all. I guess you could call this a historical family drama. It moves from post-war New York to Florida and it's full of intrigue, deceit and even murder.


Here's a brief synopsis. Broken hearted, Kit Corrigan breaks off a relationship with Billy, a boy who enlisted in the army. She leaves her family in Providence, Rhode Island and moves to New York City to pursue a stage career. Kit gets a small part in a Broadway show, as a chorus girl, but she needs financial help.


Help comes from a lawyer, Nate Benedict, Billy's father. He offers help - an apartment and introductions to a new crowd. In return Kit is to keep him informed about Billy and do him a few favors when he asks. Unfortunately Nate is involved with the mob and there are more than a few strings attached to his help.


The author sets the scene perfectly and I was fully immersed in NYC in the fifties. The characters are unique and well-developed, maybe a bit clichéd. The story is told in first person narrative by Kit, who is naïve and too trusting, but believable in her situation. The dialogue is strong and insightful. There are plenty of twists and turns that kept me engaged. In fact I finished the book in a few days, which is pretty good for me, considering my reading time is limited these days.


Definitely a recommended read for older teens or adults.


Reading level: Young Adult
Hardcover: 320 pages
Publisher: Scholastic Press; 1 edition (March 1, 2011)
Price: $12.23
Also available in Kindle


Bookmark and Share


Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

Calisa Lewis said...

That's a great opportunity Gale. I know I enjoy the reviews you do here so it doesn't surprise me that someone important took notice! And this sounds like a nice time set read. I like a lot of YA books these days. I think it comes with age. lol Thanks for another great review! Do you have to buy the books they let you review?

Gale Stanley said...

Thanks Calisa! The items are no charge. Amazon does reserve the right to ask for them back, but from what I hear that hasn't happened yet. I'm waiting for them to offer a Kindle or a laptop to review. LOL