BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, April 25, 2011

Good Editing Makes Stronger Writing



"Writing books is the closest men ever come to childbearing." ~ Norman Mailer



Lately, there's been a lot of discussion about editing on blogs and on the loops. It made me think of that quote and how true it is. Writing a book is like having a baby and when it's time to send it out into the world, we sometimes become overprotective.


Once the initial angst of submission is over, next comes the despair of rejection or the joy of acceptance and the ensuing celebration. Then comes the reality check. Your baby arrives back in your hands with so much red, it looks like it's been disemboweled. Your creative spirit takes a hit and sometimes it's tough to accept an editor's suggestions and comments. It's understandable but hey, we're not perfect and it's pretty near impossible to edit your own work.



In my mind, I know exactly who, what, why and where everything is happening. But sometimes I'm so close to the story, I don't realize that the reader isn't seeing the same things I am. Then there are those pesky errors in grammar, punctuation, and sentence structure. Not to mention the dreaded info dump (too much back story, not enough action) or head hopping (changing the point of view too often).


A good editor is invaluable. After putting so much effort into my baby, I welcome input from someone who has been doing this a long time and can help me make my story as good as possible. So I just want to say thank you to my hardworking editors. You guys rock.

Happy Reading!




Bookmark and Share


Share/Bookmark

0 comments: