BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, December 3, 2010

Can you hear me yet?


You know me and electronic toys – the easier the better. I hate the learning curve involved whenever I have to buy a new model, but when your ten year-old granddaughter has a better phone than you, it’s time to upgrade.


My husband and I had been thinking about it but couldn’t decide what we wanted. When hubby found a deal that got us 2 phones for $0.01 each we couldn’t pass it up. And they were flip phones, a style we were used to because we both had been using the Motorola Razr. It’s not easy to find a flip-style smartphone so the Blackberry Style for Sprint seemed the perfect fit. Even so I dreaded the thought of setting up a new phone, especially one with all the bells and whistles.


The phones were ordered through Amazon Wireless, gray for hubby, purple for me. They came the other day and I was intimidated right off the bat when my husband downloaded a 600 page manual. I ignored the telephone book and used the small Get-Started book that came with the phone. We got off to bad start when my husband couldn’t find the pin number we needed to activate service but a phone call to Sprint took care of the problem.




Here it is, 3.8 by 2.4 and it has a full QWERTY keyboard. It comes with an 8 GB memory card, but you can upgrade. The plastic body is glossy in front and slightly textured in back. Headphones included. It’s got the Blackberry 6 OS. There’s no touch screen and the trackpad takes a little getting used to – it’s slippery. I still overshoot my mark once in awhile.


It’s a Blackberry so I guess it’s geared toward business use. I didn’t find a lot of ringtones and games – ones that worked anyway. I downloaded a bejeweled type game and when I tried to play, it blanked out my screen. I looked at that white expanse and panicked. Nothing I did got me back to my home screen. Hubby came to the rescue. He took the battery out and reinserted it and everything went back to normal. Needless to say I deleted the game. The ringtones from my old phone worked on the new, so I was happy.

Email, Facebook and Twitter were extremely easy to set up. The screen is a bit small for surfing but I haven’t done web browsing yet so I’ll probably get used to it. I haven’t tried the camera or listened to music yet. Hey give me a break, I couldn’t play with the phone all day. I had to do some work too.


Only two cons so far. The keyboard is a bit flat compared to my old Razr. And the selection of ring tones and games could be better. I think that will be rectified in the future. So far I’m loving my new phone.



Bookmark and Share


Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

Riley Quinn said...

Congrats on entering the land of the smartphone. I absolutely love mine, and I go into withdrawals when I go back to the States every year because I can't use it.

As for ringtones and games, there should be some kind of app store you can connect to and many apps are free. I don't know about Blackberry, but iPhone is called AppStore and Android is called Marketplace.

Enjoy your new phone.

Gale Stanley said...

Thanks Riley, The style is new so I'm hoping more apps will follow. So far I'm loving it. I can't believe I waited so long.