BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Same Kind of Different As Me



Same Kind of Different As Me: A Modern-Day Slave, an International Art Dealer, and the Unlikely Woman Who Bound Them Together by Ron Hall and Denver Moore with Lynn Vincent 


So many books, so little time – and this one sat on my to be read shelf far too long. When I finally picked it up and started reading, I literally could not put it down.


This is the true story of two men from widely different backgrounds. Denver grew up a sharecropper on a plantation. Ron, an art dealer, lived a life most of us can only dream about.


It was Ron Hall’s wife, Deborah, who brought the two men together. At her urging Ron volunteered at a homeless shelter and it was there he met Denver Moore, an ex-con. Their lives intertwined and they formed an unlikely friendship, teaching each other life lessons they may not have learned otherwise.


The inspiring story, told in alternating voice by the two men, breaks down every preconceived notion about the wealthy and the homeless. Each man struggling with his own individual conflicts seeks God in a different way. Denver’s story is sometimes very painful but the overriding themes are strong and hopeful. It’s an inspiring tale, one that encourages the reader to be more understanding and compassionate. I found it to be an emotional story that really touched me.


Disclosure: I received this book free from Thomas Nelson Publishers as part of their BookSneeze book review program. All opinions expressed herein are mine.



Bookmark and Share


Share/Bookmark

4 comments:

Riley Quinn said...

Sounds like an interesting read. I may have to check this out. Thanks for sharing. What's your next read going to be? I just picked one up on Monday, Clockwork Angel by Cassandra Clare, that I'm excited about starting.

Gale Stanley said...

Very good. I just added my review to the 600+ on Amazon. My shelf is full. Since I got my Kindle I've been ignoring my print books. That's why it took so long to read this one. My next print read is The Unit by Ninni Holmqvist. It's a dystopic story about social engineering.

Clark Stone said...

It seems that I have the same problem of needing to take books off of my 'to be read' pile and start reading. I found that my writing suffers a bit when I do not take the time to read.

I like your review.

Dennis Clarkston
AKA Clark Stone

Gale Stanley said...

That's so true Clark. Reading is educating as well as entertaining to a writer.