BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, October 20, 2010

NaNoWriMo



I must be a glutton for punishment. I’m doing NaNoWriMo again this year. And it’s coming up fast. What is NaNoWriMo? Glad you asked.


According to the website, National Novel Writing Month is a fun, seat-of-your-pants approach to novel writing. Participants begin writing November 1. The goal is to write a 175-page (50,000-word) novel by midnight, November 30.


Okay so at the end of the month you will not have a novel that you can submit to a publisher. What you will have is a very, very rough draft. Okay, more like 175 pages of crap. But hopefully it can be edited into something
usable. So what’s the point of doing it?


Some people need the motivation to SIT and WRITE. And at the end of the month they will have the exhilarating feeling of reaching a goal. Last year more than 165,000 people participated. More than 30,000 hit the 50K goal. I was one of them. And it was a great feeling of accomplishment.


It also helped me with another goal. I was trying to cure myself of the editing as I go habit. It slows down your writing and takes you out of the zone. When you do NaNoWriMo there is no way you can edit as you go. There’s just no time. The only thing that matters is output. Quantity over quality. Writing on the fly. You are forced to put that quest for perfection aside. I’m sliding back into that over editing mode so I’m counting on NaNo to help me with that again this year.


I’m a pantser. I can’t write an outline to save my life but I have a few things planned out to help me get started. I know my genre - sci-fi romance. I have a good idea of my opening hook and I know how the story will end.


I’ll have a progress widget on my blog to shame me into sticking with it. And I’ll give you updates. Wish me luck!


If you’re doing NaNo and you want a buddy, you can find me here:
http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/user/413301



Bookmark and Share


Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

Mara Nash said...

See you there!

Gale Stanley said...

Awesome, I need lots of encouragement.