BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, October 29, 2010

Bibliotherapy??


Yesterday I came across something in the paper that knocked me for a loop – bibliotherapy. Ever hear of it? It’s just what it sounds like – book therapy.


This exciting new idea comes to us from School of Life, an organization in London dedicated to helping us improve our lives. Their Bibliotherapy department will prescribe books, not necessarily self-help books, which will help their clients, deal with life issues. According to what I read the idea is to provide a one-to-one service for people who don’t have “seriously big issues but need to get through the nitty-grittiness of everyday life.” Of course all this service comes with a price.


Evidently they want to treat reading as an outlet for escape. What will they think of next? Duh! I’ve been doing this all my life. And part of the joy and escapism includes pouring over covers and titles in a bookstore or on Amazon. With my Kindle I can even download sample chapters to help me decide on a purchase.


But if you feel the need to pay someone for a list of eight books they have chosen to help you improve your writing skills, deal with divorce or search for love, you can visit: http://www.theschooloflife.com/Bibliotherapy

Happy Reading!


Bookmark and Share


Share/Bookmark

5 comments:

Riley Quinn said...

Interesting. Like you, I've discovered this therapy all on my own and I much prefer to choose my own books.

Calisa Lewis said...

Huh. You mean I can 'charge' people for suggesting they read your books? WooT

Seriously, I've been reading since I was old enough to phoneticize (is that a word?). I have my first early memory of reading. I was @8 yo and took hold of one of my mom's sci-fi novels. We lved in the small town of Garwood, Texas. The room was dim, she had a handful of books on a shelf and I got one I think I'd heard her and my 13 yo brother discussing. I opened it and began reading, sounding out words I had no idea of their meaning (and prolly still don't today). At 8 I didn't finish the book, but I remember that moment. I think it may be the turning point in my life, when I discovered books as an escape.

Thanks for sharing this interesting topic Gale.

Gale Stanley said...

I started reading my mother's True Story and True Confession magazines, then Mickey Spillane paperbacks and sci-fi. Nobody could ever pick out my books, I'm all over the place. lol

Clark Stone said...

I find the idea of paying someone to tell me what I need to be reading as ridiculous. I have so many books that I need to be reading that will provide me with a way of dealing with life's stress.

Visiting those foreign universes and strange lands in my sci fi sagas gets me away from the real world stresses. Then again those humorous romances can do the same thing.

Dennis Clarkston
AKA Clark Stone

Gale Stanley said...

I thought it was ridiculous too. Books have always been my escape I agree about the sci-fi - love it!