BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Meet BethAnn Buehler, author of The Rebel Canyon Series

BethAnn Buehler, author of The Rebel Canyon Series graciously consented to stop by for an interview.

Thank you, BethAnn for agreeing to take the hot seat today.

Tell us a little about yourself.

I've been married 17 years and our little boy just started fourth grade. Honestly, with all of the craziness in this world today, I consider my family to be my greatest accomplishment. We're still making it work every day. I'm an avid tennis player, reader, movie buff and music lover. I drive too fast. I love my iced tea. And, I have two Silky Terriers that are spoiled rotten.

Tell us about your current title.

BROKEN TOGETHER is the first in a three part series of novels featuring a small town called Rebel Canyon where readers invest in the lives of three close friends. Bryn Baxter is hugely successful professionally but when it comes to relationships, let me just be candid--she's a mess. When her otherwise orderly life falls apart, Bryn gets help from a hired gun, Beck Reynolds. Bryn wants the fairy tale but she doesn't want to have to think about how to make it all work. So Beck takes control...

Where is your novel set and why did you make this specific choice?

The Rebel Canyon Series was born on a mountain in Utah. I was hanging out and reading in the lodge at Deer Valley (Utah) while my husband and son were out skiing. I took several books to read for the week since I don't ski and honestly, each one I finished left me flat. By the end of the third day (and the fourth dissatisfying book), I ran to the gift shop, bought a notebook, refilled my hot chocolate and decided I could do better. Hence the Utah setting for the series.

How did you come to write this particular book?


I'm a former teacher turned stay-at-home mom to a terrific little boy with Asperger's Syndrome, which is a very mild form of Autism. My hubby works very hard so that I can be here raising our son. It's the hardest job I've ever had but it's my favorite. I started writing to carve out personal time for myself as a way to escape some of the stress in my daily life. Without really knowing where I was headed at the time, I created a contemporary romance with strong fetish/erotic elements. I know it sounds corny but I love "love". I love the underdog, the person who deals with their own brokenness and finds the courage to make their life happen against the odds, whatever those might be. That's why I write romance. I really want the happily-ever-after.


What are your writing habits?

I love to research the finer details of my books. That's to say that if I state the name of a gun, let's say, I know enough about that weapon to know how far it shoots, the noise or lack thereof it makes when fired, it's cost... For The Rebel Canyon Series, I've gone to underground leather clubs and interviewed couples practicing various degrees of the lifestyle. I've consulted a doctor for the medically technical parts, an attorney for all of the legal parts and I have a military consultant for the weapons and communications aspect. I'm my own automobile expert so the wonderful cars my characters drive are all me. I'm not so big on outlining although as I'm wrapping my first series, I've needed an outline just to make sure I give proper closure to that various storylines I've introduced. And, I try to write everyday and usually set a goal of about 3,000 words. My muse and I are both Type A personalities so we're very goal oriented. However, I'm raising a little human so I don't always make it.

Are your family and friends supportive of your writing?

My husband is very proud of me but a bit embarrassed to read my work. Because he flinched first, I don't share it with him. In fact, other than reading these interviews and visiting my author's website, he's never read a word of my stuff. I told him he can read it when he buys it! I'm also blessed to have four critique partners, women whom I respect and trust to give me honest feedback. And I have to say my oldest and dearest girlfriend, Sheri, has been there every step of the way offering opinions and questioning my story line and ideas. I always tease that without her my novel would have been a paragraph. She's the best line editor in the business.

What are your thoughts on love scenes in romance novels, do you find them difficult to write?

It depends on how technical or how fetish they are. Research is key here and I will admit, I have to be in a certain mood to write my heavier sex scenes. Same goes for a fight scene. If someone makes me mad, I guarantee my characters are going to fight when I write that day.

What is the most rewarding thing about being a writer?


Holding my novel in my hands, knowing that I'm fulfilling one of my dreams.


Thanks so much BethAnn!


The Rebel Canyon Series
Broken Together (September 14th, 2010, Wild Horse Press)
Broken Destiny (February 2011, Wild Horse Press)
Broken Identity (October 2011, Wild Horse Press)


To purchase BethAnn's novels, please visit one of these fine book sellers: http://www.allromanceebooks.com/

http://www.amazon.com/
http://www.omnilit.com/
http://www.coffeetimeromance.com/

BethAnn can be reached online at: http://www.bethannbuehler.com/

Email: bethann@bethannbuehler.com

Facebook at: BethAnn Buehler.


BethAnn can also be found blogging with her romance writing sisters at: http://www.wickedmuses.webs.com/



Bookmark and Share


Share/Bookmark

1 comments:

Riley Quinn said...

Great interview. Thanks for introducing me to a new-to-me author. I'm going to go check out her book.