BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Is It Ever Too Late?

When I was a kid I wanted piano lessons. I begged and pleaded but my parents didn’t want to spend big bucks buying or renting a piano. Instead they got me an accordion. They were big fans of Lawrence Welk.


It wasn’t an acceptable replacement but it was all I had so I was willing to give it a try. After one lesson I was banished to the basement to practice. I did my best every day for a week but my parents returned the accordion and that was the end of my music lessons. Evidently they enjoyed Mr. Welk’s performances more than mine. So much for playing an instrument.

Years later my son acquired a big old converted player piano from a friend and I fooled around with it and taught myself to play Jingle Bells and Row, Row, Row Your Boat. I’m a lifelong learner and it was a beginning.


Eventually my son bought a bigger house for his family and the piano went with them. I missed it but I had other things to keep me busy. Recently my sister-in-law decided to sell her piano. I jumped at the chance to give it a try. So here I am, an adult beginner teaching myself how to play - again.


I don’t think age is really a handicap when it comes to learning. In fact I think it gives me an edge. Nobody is forcing me to take lessons or practice. I want to do it. I’m realistic about my goals. I’ll never be a concert pianist. I just want to play for my own enjoyment - if my cats will let me near their new cat perch.


Is there something you always wanted to do but it wasn’t possible at the time? Did you finally make it happen? I’d love to hear a success story.


Bookmark and Share


Share/Bookmark

3 comments:

Maeve said...

I think you're going to have to find another seat before you're able to resume your lessons. It appears that one is rather full. I don't suppose it's ever too late. I imagine it's just a matter of having the courage and the time to take the bull by the horns and do it. Good for you! I admire you. Keep us posted on your progress.

Gale Stanley said...

Courage only because no one is home during day to hear me except Buffy & Spike. :>)

Denise said...

Just be sure to leave the cover closed or your dynamic duo will be serenading you at all hours with their dancing paws. And it's NEVER too late. DH & I both want to learn and will, one day. Best of luck and keep us updated on your progress.