BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

What to do?- A new character crashes the party.

CALL OF THE WILDS took a long time to write. The plot came to me while I was still working the hated day job. I’d write a few lines and just as things would start to gel someone would interrupt me and my inspiration would disappear. The book wasn’t completed until I left my position as civil servant/municipal drone.

I wrote MATING CALL, book 2 of the Black Wolf Gorge series, in record time – for me anyway. It took, oh, maybe six months. I knew which characters were coming back and I knew where their stories were headed. Everything flowed and I already knew who would get their time in the spotlight.

I assumed that writing book three would also move along quickly. NOT! You know what they say about people who assume. I thought I knew where the plot was headed and I wrote a few chapters but then a new character appeared out of nowhere and I can’t shake her. She lurks in the background and tries to throw me off course whenever I try to write. I’m not even sure if she’s good or evil yet. All I know is, she won’t go away. So now my dilemma is, do I give her an honorable mention and save her for book 4? Or do I give her the spotlight now and make my old familiar characters wait for book 4?

Right now I’m just writing whatever they tell me and I’ll sort it out later. But I really hope I can get organized by the end of the week because I’m hoping for a first draft by the end of the month. Wish me luck.


Bookmark and Share


Share/Bookmark

1 comments:

Riley Quinn said...

Oh no! Those darn characters are great at derailing our plans. It sounds as though she's a bit pushier than your other characters so you may decide to write her story now to shut her up. Good luck and let us know what you decide.