BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Thursday, June 10, 2010

I Love My Kindle!!

First a little reminder. There's still time to head over to the Dark Divas and tell them how many books I'm working on (It's 3) for a chance to win a copy of CALL OF THE WILDS.

Now I have to tell you about my new toy. It took me a long time to pick an ereader. Finally I narrowed it down to the Sony or the Kindle. Last week when I was in OCMD I saw a woman on the beach with her Kindle. She was reading in the bright sun with no problem. That's when I made up my mind. I'm a sun, sand and sea person and I wanted a reader that would be easy on the eyes in bright sunlight.

I ordered the 6" display because I want to be able to slip it in my handbag and carry it around with me. My Kindle arrived two days after I ordered it. Shipping was free and it was already registered. All I had to do was charge the battery and I was good to go. Of course I had to buy something immediately so I could try it out.

I'd been wanting a copy of "The Last Lecture" by Randy Pausch, who was a computer science professor at Carnegie Mellon University. Many professors are asked to give "The Last Lecture," where they consider their death and talk about what matters most to them. Randy Pausch didn't have to use his imagination. He died on July 25, 2008 of complications from pancreatic cancer. His inspirational book is a legacy for his wife, three children and anyone who reads it. It's all about living life to the fullest. I hit the buy button and it downloaded immediately using Amazon's free wireless delivery, Whispernet. I'm not a mechanical person and I really appreciate how easy it is to use the Kindle.

The only thing that put me off was the price of some of the eBooks on Amazon. Some of the Kindle versions were more expensive than the paperbacks. But I don't buy all my books from Amazon so I decided to load some of my pdfs on the Kindle and see how it handled them.

I plugged in the usb cable and the Kindle showed up in My Computer. It was no problem to drag a few of my pdf files over to the documents folder that was already set up. The formatting was retained but I couldn't change the text size. You can magnify it in landscape mode or send the file to Amazon for conversion.

The Kindle recognizes documents in (.AZW, .AZW1). Text (.TXT), Unprotected Mobipocket (.MOBI, .PRC)

I dragged over a .PRC copy of CALL OF THE WILDS with no problem. I can go to SIREN and buy books from my favorite authors, download them to my laptop in .PRC and move them to my Kindle.

This morning I took it outside and read in the bright sun. The display is amazing. I'm a person who likes to collect books and feel the weight of a hardback in my hands. I wasn't sure I'd get used to an ereader but so far, I'm more than pleased. In fact, I love my Kindle.


Bookmark and Share


Share/Bookmark

5 comments:

Denise said...

I'm delighted to hear such a thorough review of the Kindle. Sounds like you ran it through it's paces pretty well. I'm not quite ready to leap into the ereader arena yet, but you've definitely put the Kindle at the top of the heap. May you and your Kindle continued to be very happy together!

Maeve said...

My sister-in-law got a Kindle for her birthday and she loves it. I think I'm developing Kindle envy! ;)

Gale Stanley said...

I love how easy it is to use. Gadgets today have too many bells and whistles. I definitely recommend it.

Margaret said...

Welcome to the Kindle madness! Enjoy!

Gale Stanley said...

I'm a complete addict. At this rate I'll have it filled in no time.