BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Help! Kindle or Nook?

Kindle or Nook? For a very long time, I've been on the fence but today I'm thinking it's time to jump off. Here I am packing for the beach and I have at least 8 books to bring with me. This will increase by the time I leave and they're pretty heavy. I find myself getting more and more ebooks to review as opposed to print, so they're coming with me too. My own ebook, Call of the Wilds, is coming out this week and I like to support my fellow writers and buy their books. Right now, I'm reading all my electronic books on my laptop and it's not all that convenient.

Kindle and Nook are close in price, about $250.00. This is a big investment and I don't want to make a mistake and buy something I won't be happy with. So I'm doing a little research. A few differences jump out at me. The Nook has a touchscreen, the Kindle has a keyboard, giving the Nook a bigger reading area. The Nook has memory expansion, the Kindle doesn't. With the Nook, you can check out books in B&N before you buy.

Still, I'm leaning toward the Kindle. I just downloaded a free Kindle app and 2 free sample books for my pc and the download worked seamlessly. I buy most of my books (and everything else) on Amazon. And I read somewhere that Stephen King has a Kindle. If it's good enough for him...

What do you think? Am I on the right track? Does anyone have an ereader they're happy or not happy with?


Bookmark and Share



Share/Bookmark

8 comments:

Rachel Lynne said...

Gale,
I don't have an e-reader but I'm interested in getting one. The thing that holds me up is versatility. I buy all my e-books directly from the publishers. Is there an e-reader that lets you buy from The Wild Rose Press or Ellora's Cave directly? Some of my friends' books aren't offered on Amazon, etc. and too, buying from Amazon or B&N verses the publishers' sites means less royalty for the author ...

Gale Stanley said...

From what I've read, different formats can be converted to AZW for the Kindle.
The Nook supports: ePub, PDB, MP3, PDF, and JPG, PNG, GIF, BMP.
Somebody suggested the Sony which I hadn't looked at. The PRS line from Sony supports EPUB, LRF, LRX, RTF, PDF, TXT.
Looks like Sony is the cheapest at $150 but it also has less storage space.
And to confuse matters more I found a program – Calibre - that does conversion - http://calibre-ebook.com/download.
I'm still looking.

Jeannene Walker said...

Gail, I have an ereader on my Blackberry and love the thing. The phone is always with me so I am never without a book. There are several ereaders available for Blackberry's, but I find the Barnes and Noble one the best.

Gale Stanley said...

I'll be in the market for a new phone shortly, so that would be a plus. But I thought the screen was a lot smaller and my eyes aren't what they used to be.

Riley Quinn said...

I don't have either. I use my iPod Touch for reading. It's a bit smaller but you can change the font size. I love it and don't have any problems with it.

Before that, I had the ebookwise.com reader for years. It's less expensive and if you buy the books in html format, you can buy from anywhere. It's a little bulkier than the newer ones but...

Gale Stanley said...

I have an older iPod that still works great but too small to read on. I'll check out the Touch and ebookwise. On the subj of ebooks. I read Everlong and loved it. I put a review on Camp Swampy.
http://write-juncture.blogspot.com/

Margaret said...

My friends gave me a Kindle and I love it. I have not had a chance to play with a Nook, so I can't really say how they compare. Like you, I used to travel with multiple books. Now I just make sure my Kindle is in my purse and I am good to go!

Gale Stanley said...

Thanks. I've had a lot of great advice and I'm still leaning toward the Kindle. It seems like everyone who owns one is happy with it.