BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Talking About Anger

The edits for Call of the Wilds are finished and now it's back to revising the first draft of Mating Season. I'm on chapter five and so far it's going well. You'll see the word count on my progress meter increasing as I add in sex and setting.

My heroine is a cranky she-wolf who loves to bait the hero. She angers him in a hundred different ways and I love showing her actions and his reactions. Sometimes I just want to say, "she angered him." Last night I came up with a list of verbs I can substitute for anger. There's quite a few, each with their own subtle meaning.

aggravate, agitate, anger, annoy, bait, bother, chafe, devil, disturb, enrage, exasperate, frustrate, gall, harass, hassle, heckle, infuriate, incense, irk, madden, mock, needle, nettle, pester, pick, provoke, rag, rib, ride, ridicule, rile, taunt, tease, torment, vex...

I took it a step further. She's half animal, so how about using animal names to show her human traits. She badgers him, dogs him, outfoxes him...

If you can think of more, let me know.


Share/Bookmark

3 comments:

Riley Quinn said...

Sounds like a winner, Gale. I love some sparring between hero and heroine before they get together. I think it makes the sex hotter. Can't wait to check it out.

Denise said...

What fun! I never thought about it that way, but now I'm gonna have to review my options in my stories. It was another one of those "doh" moments when I read your post. That's why I love checking in on you and the other writers I follow. Sadly, I'm at work and can't spare the little grey cells to add to your list.

GPS said...

I feel the same. I love to follow your blogs. It's great to have a supportive community of writers.