BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Monday, April 19, 2010

Starting My Journey With The Weekend Novelist


This past weekend the Rose's Colored Glasses loop started The Weekend Novelist by Robert J. Ray and Bret Norris. We're using the revised second edition to guide us through the development of a new novel - writing on weekends. I wish I had this book when I was working the day job because it's perfect for writers who are struggling to find time to write while holding down a full-time job.



First assignment - read through the introduction and get geared up. The intro is filled with good stuff like:
                      Structuring your writing sessions
                      Finding your workspace and writing time
                      Collecting your writing tools
                      Adding useful books
                      Warming Up
                      and much more.


I'm psyched. The WIP is going to be an urban fantasy - a tough heroine, pitted against an evil adversary. And of course there will be blood. I'll be posting updates on Mondays as we go through the book. I hope you'll take this year long journey with me.


If you don't have the book, check out the website The Weekend Novelist.


Share/Bookmark

6 comments:

Riley Quinn said...

LOL, Gale. Great minds think alike. I'm so excited about working through this book. Your WIP sounds cool. I'm doing an urban fantasy mystery and I'm trying something different - writing in 1st person.

GPS said...

Wow, we do think alike. I'm planning to try first person too. Most of the urban fantasys I've read are written that way. I'm thinking maybe it's the best way to show the action. We'll see. I'm really looking forward to this.

Rachel Lynne said...

I'm feeling left out :( it sounds like ya'll are having fun. I decided not to do it because I have so much going on outside of writing and I'm having a hard time getting focused on writing another book, to boot!

Have fun and learn lots so you can share!

GPS said...

Thanks. I'm thinking I'll be able to keep up because it's weekends only. Check out the Weekend Novelist website. You can get some good advice and do the exercises at your own pace.

Denise said...

Best of luck to all of you on this exciting project. Since weekends are the ONLY time I see my DH, I had to pass. But I'll be watching.

GPS said...

Thanks Denise. I'm going to post my progress. It'll keep me motivated.