BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Pumping Up My Verbs

So, last night I went over some pages from the first draft of Mating Season and tried to get them in shape for critiques tomorrow. I looked for grammar and punctuation mistakes, overused words, weak verbs...

Oops! There's one on the first page.

Jude forcefully pulled the pillow from his arms.
Forcefully pulled. Yech!! An adverb and a weak verb = boring. I racked my brain and pulled out The Synonym Finder.

divested
dragged
extracted
grasped
plucked
pried
tore
towed
tugged
seized
snatched
wrested
yanked

Each one has a slightly different meaning and creates a different picture. If you can think of more, I'd love to hear them. I'll keep a list on the sidebar for reference.

By the way, I decided to go with yanked. Much better.


Share/Bookmark

5 comments:

Jeannene Walker said...

This is my ultimate goal in life-to learn as many interesting words as I possibly can to make the story interesting. My thesaurus and dictionary are my constant companions and when my children look at me and say: "What does THAT mean?" I feel I reached some sort of accomplishment in the area. I love words

Jeannene

GPS said...

I do too. I always looking for the perfect word. Guess that's why it takes me so long to edit. lol

Riley Quinn said...

I love The Synonym Finder. It's much better than my thesaurus. Good word choice.

Denise said...

My favorate writer's quote is Mark Twain's - The different between the almost right word and the right word is really a large matter--'tis the difference between the lightning-bug and the lightning.

GPS said...

Denise, I hadn't heard that one - love it! Thanks for sharing.