BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Spring Fever or What the heck is a Vernal Equinox?

I have spring fever, absolutely can't wait to see the trees turn green and the beach get replenished. Yesterday morning I went outside to retrieve the trashcans and the beautiful weather brought on that excited, restless feeling that signals the coming of spring. I knew it meant trouble because I didn't want to go back inside. I literally forced myself back to the computer and I ended up staring out the window and thinking about the beach. I looked on the internet to find out the first day of spring. Thank goodness, it's not that far away.

According to infoplease.com, it's not an arbitrary date.
"March 20 (March 21 in some years) is significant for astronomical reasons. On March 20, 2010, at precisely 1:32 P.M. EDT (March 20, about 09:00 Universal Time), the Sun will cross directly over the Earth's equator. This moment is known as the vernal equinox in the Northern Hemisphere. For the Southern Hemisphere, this is the moment of the autumnal equinox.


Translated literally, equinox means "equal night." Because the sun is positioned above the equator, day and night are about equal in length all over the world during the equinoxes. A second equinox occurs each year on September 22 or 23; in 2009, it will be on September 22 at 17:18 P.M. EDT (21:18 UT). This date will mark the autumnal equinox in the Northern Hemisphere and the vernal equinox in the Southern (vernal denotes "spring")."

This is really more than I wanted to know, but I can find all sorts of things to postpone what I really should be doing. Eventually I got down to business and started working on the WIP. Today I'm not even poking my head out the door.


Share/Bookmark

3 comments:

Riley Quinn said...

Good post, Gale. I celebrate on both of the equinoxes as well as both solstices. Glad you're back to work. ;)

Rachel Lynne said...

Thanks Gale, I always wondered what those days meant, don't know why I never looked it up! I know the feeling though, Savannah has been a balmy 70 for several days and I just wanted to go out and soak up the rays. Too sick and too busy but I did open the windows, that of course led to pollen everywhere ...oh well, can't win for losin'!

GPS said...

We had a little rain today, I am so looking forward to 70 degrees. I hope you're feeling better Rachel.