BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, March 12, 2010

Reaching the end of my rope and using it to tie up all those pesky plotlines


I've been watching Lost since the show began and I eagerly awaited this last season, thinking I'd get all the answers. Now I'm not so sure. This week's episode had me scratching my head and thinking how will the writers tie it all up by May.

Then I started thinking about my WIP. How will I tie it all up by the end of March? I know what's in store for the characters but there are a few pesky plotlines that are not making the jump from beginning to end. How will these people get from point A to point B in a way that does not sound contrived?

I decided to take a clue from Lost. There's no rule that says I have to follow a linear path when I write. The finished story will follow a logical progression but how I get there really doesn't matter, as long as it works.

Since I knew the end, I went ahead and wrote the last chapter. I had one Aha moment after another until...
Eureka! (Meaning, "I have found it" in Greek) I found my way back to the place in my story where I'd been stuck.

I don't know how it works. Maybe my brain just needed a shake-up. Sometimes when you look at things in a new way it all starts to make sense. Even Lost is looking more comprehensible.

What works for you? How do you find all those points between A and B?


Share/Bookmark

6 comments:

Rachel Lynne said...

Lots of long walks. I haven't tried skipping to the end but I did have a problem with my current wip and imagined the rest of the scenes up to the end. That helped me figure out that pesky transition chapter ... too bad I didn't think about writing those other chapters instead of imagining them. I'd be done!

GPS said...

Hi Rachel, I know how you feel, if I imagine anything I have to write it down immediately or it goes out of my head and disappears forever.

Riley Quinn said...

I recently had this problem and I had to take a break from it. Sounds like you shook it loose by writing what you did know. Congrats on that.

Maeve said...

I wonder if it would be easier to write a book backwards then forwards? Hmm...

GPS said...

Sometimes I think anything is easier than writing a book. lol People have no idea...

Denise said...

I agree that writing can become a truly convoluted process. I tend to work linearly, however, my current WIP keeps wanting to double back on itself and sometimes leaps vast chasms of unknown chapters toward the ending. I've decided to go with the flow and it's been a wild ride. Now, do you know anyone with a humongous backhoe to help me fill in those chasms? Or maybe MapQuest can show me an alternate route. We'll see!