BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, February 19, 2010

Getting Serious About Setting Goals

I've been thinking a lot about setting goals - maybe too much thinking and not enough doing. A little less contemplating, a little more writing, and maybe I'll achieve some of them.

I'm good at making lists. As each task is accomplished I check it off and I manage to get quite a bit done. But I'm not hitting the mark with my writing and I couldn't figure out why. Everyone says that setting goals works and I know exactly how many words I want for my new book. When I started National Novel Writing Month in November 2009, I had no problem making my goal of 50,000 words. Ah, then it hit me. When I did NaNoWriMo I put my progress out there for everyone to see and it kept me motivated. Plus, I had a measurable, time-targeted objective. Sure, I know I want 60,000 words, but I never did set a time for completion.

So here it is. I already have 18,234 words and a pretty good idea of where the story is going. I think I can wrap it up by March 31, 2010. Now that I have my target time, I've added a word tracker to my blog to motivate me. The nifty little widget in my sidebar is compliments of Writertopia. As of today, my book is untitled, so I'm calling this little gadget BOOK TWO - MY PROGRESS. If you see it's not moving please feel free to beat up on me.


Share/Bookmark

4 comments:

Rachel Lynne said...

Oh how cool! I gotta get one of those :) Oh, and I will be watching, lol, so prepare to duck!

JP said...

Ok, no slackin'! February is a short month so get writing.

GPS said...

OK Rachel, we can cheer each other on!

Calisa said...

I'm watching too Gale and Rachel! I need a new WCer. I used to have one in all my thread sig lines from (I think Zokudo) until they lost their rights or something. I haven't been able to find a good one since. I would also like a calendar like you have.
Anyway- I need accountability and have a great cp group, but I still slack wayyy too much because they're not here to watch/beat me.