BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, February 12, 2010

Getting Kozy with KompoZer

Now I've gone and done it - thrown my back out of whack, that is. Yesterday I lifted one shovel full too many and felt something go pop. Using my shovel as a cane, I hobbled back into the house and faced the fact that I'm not as young as I used to be.

There is an upside to all this - I'm stuck in the house. Some people might not consider that good news but I'm taking advantage of it. Besides writing, reading and critiques I decided to start working on the new website.

Many years back when I created a website for the day job I used an html editor called Homesite. I upgraded it every year, at my own expense, and spent hours trying to get the look I wanted with html or Hyper Text Markup Language.

Things got easier along the way. I created my own
website on Verizon. They provided me with Site Builder, a WYSIWYG tool - What You See Is What You Get. Now that I have my own domain, it's time to create a new website. Yahoo provides a WYSIWYG editor and templates. Quick and easy, but I couldn't get the look I wanted. I dug out my old Homesite disks and installed the program. Still works great but I've been spoiled and I wanted some WYSIWYG capability.

I did a search on Yahoo for html editors and checked out several. The one I chose is KompoZer. This is from their website:

"KompoZer is a complete web authoring system that combines web file management and easy-to-use WYSIWYG web page editing.
KompoZer is designed to be extremely easy to use, making it ideal for non-technical computer users who want to create an attractive, professional-looking web site without needing to know HTML or web coding."

It has CSS capabilities and it's easy to switch between WYSIWYG editing mode and HTML by using the tabs.
It can be used with desktop Linux, Microsoft Windows and Apple Macintosh.
Best of all there's no need to worry about a trial version that's missing vital features or a program that will die on you after 30 days.

KompoZer is FREE!
http://www.kompozer.net/


Share/Bookmark

2 comments:

JP said...

Just relax, take Advil, and drink plenty of coffee. Your back will ease up in a few days, hopefully. If not just get your lazy old man to wait on you hand and foot. He won't mind ;)

Rachel Lynne said...

Get some W and W (west and welaxation according to Elmer Fudd!) I used GoDaddy's website tonight for my site. I'd never heard of an html editor but I'm so technochallenged I probably couldn't have figured it out anyway!